How Do You Handle People Who Ignore the Advice They Asked For?

KrystalG

Arachnosquire
Alright. This comment really has nothing to do with the scientific side of Ts, so Im sorry. But how in the world do any of you deal with it when someone asks for advice, then ignores you and continues with habits that will ultimately lead to death of their T?

sasker

Arachnoprince
I don't. If people choose to ignore advice - especially if they asked for it - I know I already wasted enough time by giving advice in the first place. This does not only apply to keeping tarantulas, but to everything, really. Ultimately, people are responsible for their own actions.

Mikew9788

Arachnopeon
This is probably one of the tougher things about pet keeping and being an animal lover. People will always ignore advice and mistreat animals. A lot of people view animals as disposable. Last June I rescued two domestic geese that someone dumped at a local duck pond. They were being beat up real bad by local geese and swans. I captured them, brought them home and spent all summer finding a good permanent no-kill home for them. They were real friendly and tame. Considering the timing I guessed they were live Easter basket chicks. People don't think things through and used these animals as props only to release them into a death sentence. I'm just glad me and my kids went to the park that day. I don't have a big yard and the white one attacked my little dog a few times or I would have kept them. Bottom line is you can try to educate people and teach them empathy and proper husbandry but this will not always work. I was thinking about this again with Easter right around the corner.

Attachments

KrystalG

Arachnosquire
Awee. Cute geese. And yea, i offered a local girl tarantula advice, and i know it was good because the species she asked about is the species I've kept the longest. A few days after answering her request for help, where i told her to stop handling her tarantula while it settles in (the poor thing was super stressed), she posts pictures of the spider on a video game controller while she is playing. So the spider is up in the air on a smooth plastic surface where either party could get easily spooked. I told her not to handle that thing if she wanted it to settle in.

Orionoid

Arachnopeon
On a vaguely related note: as a newcomer to the hobby, how can I discern good advice from bad? I've been doing a lot of reading (including lurking here lol) and quite often find conflicting information. From what I understand, this is typical given the nature of the hobby and the relative newness of certain species, but how can you tell if a certain piece of advice is just really, really bad before having much experience yourself? I don't want to go looking for answers if I need them and end up doing something really dumb.

Mikew9788

Arachnopeon
Awee. Cute geese. And yea, i offered a local girl tarantula advice, and i know it was good because the species she asked about is the species I've kept the longest. A few days after answering her request for help, where i told her to stop handling her tarantula while it settles in (the poor thing was super stressed), she posts pictures of the spider on a video game controller while she is playing. So the spider is up in the air on a smooth plastic surface where either party could get easily spooked. I told her not to handle that thing if she wanted it to settle in.
That is terrible. That is someone who want a prop not a pet. Sad fact is that a lot of animals in the pet trade are in for the same fate. Sounds like you did the best you could to give her good advice. Sadly that all you can do.

Mikew9788

Arachnopeon
On a vaguely related note: as a newcomer to the hobby, how can I discern good advice from bad? I've been doing a lot of reading (including lurking here lol) and quite often find conflicting information. From what I understand, this is typical given the nature of the hobby and the relative newness of certain species, but how can you tell if a certain piece of advice is just really, really bad before having much experience yourself? I don't want to go looking for answers if I need them and end up doing something really dumb.
Most people on these forums have a lot of experience and therefore give good advice. Dont listen to the first thing someone says, but when there is a recurring theme it is probobly sound advice. At least it can point you in the right direction for further research. I find the research part as fun a keeping the animals.

Sinned

Arachnosquire
These boards are good start, search and if you are not sure... just ask. Some stuff changes, e.g, ICU used to be a thing, now more and more people say it ends up doing more harm then good.

So when in doubt, ask ... lots of passionate keepers here willing to share what they learned over the years.

starnaito

Arachnosquire
Discerning truth can be difficult, but I always look at the condition of the person's animals. Even before I knew much about tarantulas, certain things just seemed off to me. The poorly kept T I bought at a pet expo was sold by a person who owned a pet store, and the more he talked, the more it became obvious that he just wanted to say whatever would convince me to buy the T. (I was already convinced because I knew she needed to get out of there fast. She was running away from crickets and had mites on her.) He countered all my concerned questions by defending the conditions of her enclosure ("They need more moisture", "It's better to feed multiple prey at once", etc.) I know, it's not always so obvious, but your gut reaction as an animal lover can tell you a lot sometimes.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Post your question and wait a day. Within 24 hours you'll have a global point of view on your topic. That's what i iove about Ab, there are so many people from all over the world here. :)
The answers from long time keepers and those who get the most 'agree' ratings are the answers you're looking for.
It also helps to browse Ab archives by using the search function for some topics. Or pm a member here.

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
This is probably one of the tougher things about pet keeping and being an animal lover. People will always ignore advice and mistreat animals. A lot of people view animals as disposable.
So true, other than my inverts my other animals are rescues, one starving kitten near death, one very ill young cat dumped here and a sick goldfish from a neighbor that passed away. All have recovered nicely and I've had them respectively for 6, 4 and 12 years. I remember many years ago I had a friend that couldn't figure out why her goldfish kept dying, turns out she was using soap to wash the gravel. When I told her that was why her fish were dying all she said was " I want it to be clean" and just continued on. Sigh.....

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
On a vaguely related note: as a newcomer to the hobby, how can I discern good advice from bad? I've been doing a lot of reading (including lurking here lol) and quite often find conflicting information.
That is the challenging part about being new to any subject -- you don't have the requisite knowledge to distinguish, on your own, the good advice from the bad advice.

However, on this forum, bad advice rarely goes uncorrected for long. Generally if you are getting advice from staff or other long-time members, and there is little or no disagreement, it's probably sound advice. (Post ratings such as "like," "agree" and "helpful" from such members are also a good signal to look for, although later in the thread, posts tend to get fewer ratings.)

Deb60

Arachnosquire
Best to ask someone that’s kept Ts for along time that’s a member of this group .

So true, other than my inverts my other animals are rescues, one starving kitten near death, one very ill young cat dumped here and a sick goldfish from a neighbor that passed away. All have recovered nicely and I've had them respectively for 6, 4 and 12 years. I remember many years ago I had a friend that couldn't figure out why her goldfish kept dying, turns out she was using soap to wash the gravel. When I told her that was why her fish were dying all she said was " I want it to be clean" and just continued on. Sigh.....
I knew someone used to clean the tank out with bleach as well , even worse !

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Actually those kind of folks are the ones I prefer :)

They ask for help/advice - received the answer/s in no time they are upset and pissed off (because what 'you' said isn't what they wanted to hear) - often they start to (try to) 'insult' people or they play the victim-card (such '... this site is toxic, cancer, whatever').

But, but, but (because there's always a 'but', in life) is when a little % of those return, after some time, for showing the results of their pure 'DIY' crap on brand new threads where I really love those: T's injured, escaped, completely messed up set ups/parameters etc and (ah ah) like nothing, they act 'normally': sublime.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
There will frequently be variations on a theme in regard to appropriate husbandry, but the basics will be very similar and knowledgeable keepers will be in general agrrement.
On some topics, even the most experienced keepers may disagree, such as handling, which is opinion based.

PetrZ

Arachnopeon
Alright. This comment really has nothing to do with the scientific side of Ts, so Im sorry. But how in the world do any of you deal with it when someone asks for advice, then ignores you and continues with habits that will ultimately lead to death of their T?
Can you imagine that all born Tarantulas would stay alive? Give your best advices, but let her be. It is her tarantula, her life. If she will see National Geographic document from Africa and will try to fry her and eat her for diner like people at Kambodgia for example, it is her thing :)

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
I mean there's obviously nothing you can do about ignorance unless you want to track every idiot down and beat them up. Warning: The list would be very, very long.

KrystalG

Arachnosquire
Sad :( A lot of people in my area dump dogs and cats, so anytime we see a garbage bag out in the desert, we check it out. I just wish people could understand that even though they are pets, some animals aren't domesticated like a cat or dog, and if you want to keep them, you need to give them an environment as close as possible to their natural habitat.