How do you guys get around the lid scare?

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
That's a pretty good idea, i wish I had thought of it before. Though I really didn't have too much trouble with slings freaking out, removing the lids could be a bit of a pain sometimes.

I have to open my LP's cage very carefully. That thing goes bonkers very easily. And it is getting big and so when it panics and darts into a corner, it makes an audible "thunk" against the walls.
I am not looking forward to rehousing it at all.
Finally, I may be alone on this, but I sometimes have difficulty removing the lids from Kritter Keepers.

DPetsche

Arachnopeon
You should be feeding snakes pre-killed rats (esp rats!), there's no reason not to, it's safer for the snake.
Well there's more of a nutrient drop off when using frozen prey, controversy surrounds it but we've seen noticeable amounts of size growth and activity development once started on a live diet. Plus, live prey are like potato chips. Once they get one they're hooked and won't go back to pre killed. We've tried, they won't bite. Literally

Lucashank

Arachnosquire
My E. cyanognathus is extremely sensitive sometimes, and her speed is incredible. As soon as my hand approaches the lid, she will disappear to the bottom of her burrow faster than if I'd've thrown her.
But it's no problem as long as I throw the poor cricket down the rabbit hole (tarantula hole) to its doom.
I seriously wonder how she eats so much.

My P. regalis on the other hand, does not care whatsoever when I open the door. And I made the door. It does not open smoothly :sorry:

Trenor

Arachnoprince
That's a pretty good idea, i wish I had thought of it before. Though I really didn't have too much trouble with slings freaking out, removing the lids could be a bit of a pain sometimes.

I have to open my LP's cage very carefully. That thing goes bonkers very easily. And it is getting big and so when it panics and darts into a corner, it makes an audible "thunk" against the walls.
Finally, I may be alone on this, but I sometimes have difficulty removing the lids from Kritter Keepers.
Just give yourself plenty of room and make sure you have everything set up in the new enclosure. Take you time ans it shouldn't be too bad.

This is one reason I've not used KK for my Ts yet even though I have a few sitting around. I just don't like having to deal with the lid. Most of my other enclosures are easy to open which is a plus cause I like to take photos.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well there's more of a nutrient drop off when using frozen prey, controversy surrounds it but we've seen noticeable amounts of size growth and activity development once started on a live diet. Plus, live prey are like potato chips. Once they get one they're hooked and won't go back to pre killed. We've tried, they won't bite. Literally
I agree on the nutrient drop off regarding freezing, that destroys some protein due to ice crystal formation. But killing the mice via CO2 and then feeding, there's no nutrient issue there.

I've heard that about live prey. I'm sure there are some individual specimens that are like that, but even wild-caught snakes will accept pre-killed, again exceptions to every rule.

Each snake is different, just like each tarantula is different.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If you have a deli or condiment cup that is really tight fitting you can cut the lid as shown below to lessen how much pressure it takes when opening and closing. Just take care not to cut all the way past the locking grove or make too many cuts. Both will cause the lid to be too lose. It also works great at not startling slings that like to break and run.

I don't tong feed any of my Ts. I crush the roach heads and toss them in. Go back the next night and take out anything that wasn't eaten.

A good idea. I'm sure at some point we'll read "Help my T is escaped because I cut the lid too short" hahahaah

Trenor

Arachnoprince
A good idea. I'm sure at some point we'll read "Help my T is escaped because I cut the lid too short" hahahaah
Likely so, though it'll be no different than the "I drilled holes that were too big and my T got out". At some point to have to give enclosure design some thought and you should test any lid/modification before keeping a T in the container. Some of those deli cups crinkle just trying to get the lid on. There is no need for a lid that tight with slings. If you do the cuts right you still get a firm lock it just doesn't use as much force to take it on or off.

Eek

Arachnosquire

Hey Tim,

I JUST re-housed my LP last night and it went smoother than my G. pulchripes. I opened the lid, tilted the cage ever so slightly and then let it sit there in its hide while I watched from the edge of the tub for 5 or so minutes. I then slowly and gently brushed him out of his hole and waited for another minute or so before coaxing him over the lip and into his new home. No rearing up, no hair kicking...it was quite pleasant actually. I may have lucked out with a somewhat calm LP but I think the pausing in-between harassments helped.

My G. pulchripes went into a velcro ball and would dart back into his old enclosure with every brushstroke I used to get him out! It was a 15 minute ordeal since I didnt want to upset him...but he was more of a stick in the mud than the LP.

Best of luck to you.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
My G. pulchripes went into a velcro ball and would dart back into his old enclosure with every brushstroke I used to get him out! It was a 15 minute ordeal since I didnt want to upset him...but he was more of a stick in the mud than the LP.
They want to get back to their home where it is safe. Which is the webbing in the old enclosure. I've found it helpful to open the old enclosure and take out everything I can (webbing too) without bothering the T too much. Once this is done I give it some time like you did. They are less apt to try to go home cause most of it isn't there anymore.

Belegnole

Tarantula Guy
Old Timer
I found that I like enclosures that open easy, but are secure when closed. RUBs or something like them work well. Like someone else said I open them slow and steady. If the T bolts I may wait a bit before I take off the top. I figure for the T's sake and my own I am purposefully not going to rush. Plus I happen to enjoy the time spent doing the light maintenance and feeding.

Icculus

Arachnosquire

Kk lids suck!!!

Socfroggy

Arachnoknight
I just peel the lid off of my tarantula's deli cup enclosure. In the future I'm just gonna use these
and tell those deli cups to go screw themselves.
I use something like this to house my Anadenobolus Monilicornis and I notice that the lids come off SUPER easily. Just a heads up.