How do you deal with an inexperienced snake owner?

RedChillHouse

Arachnopeon
My sibling recently bought a ball python. They have never owned any kind of snake long term. Ever now and they would catch a wild snake, keep it for a couple of days, then release it. They claimed to have done research before buying it but recently I've been having a hard time believing that.

Now, I have never owned a ball python myself but a friend of mine does. I have a small milksnake but that's it for me. I don't know how much the care differs between the two, but none the less:

I was always told to let the snake adjust to its new home for a week before handling it. I found them handling the snake THE VERY NEXT DAY saying that the snake was exploring its cage the day before and that it was fine.

Then they fed the snake after about 5 days of it being in its new home. Not 12 hours later they were handling it again. I thought you should at least wait a full day before handling it, sometimes longer.

I suggested this and told them that they might be stressing the snake out. They got mad at me and started arguing. So far it hasn't even been one full week with the snake and I'm unsure of how fit they are to have this python. Of course, I might be overreacting but I'm unsure of what to do. Please keep in mind that this is not a child. My sibling is a legal adult.

Any advice? And am I wrong about waiting a week and waiting for the snake to properly digest its food before handling?

basin79

ArachnoGod
My sibling recently bought a ball python. They have never owned any kind of snake long term. Ever now and they would catch a wild snake, keep it for a couple of days, then release it. They claimed to have done research before buying it but recently I've been having a hard time believing that.

Now, I have never owned a ball python myself but a friend of mine does. I have a small milksnake but that's it for me. I don't know how much the care differs between the two, but none the less:

I was always told to let the snake adjust to its new home for a week before handling it. I found them handling the snake THE VERY NEXT DAY saying that the snake was exploring its cage the day before and that it was fine.

Then they fed the snake after about 5 days of it being in its new home. Not 12 hours later they were handling it again. I thought you should at least wait a full day before handling it, sometimes longer.

I suggested this and told them that they might be stressing the snake out. They got mad at me and started arguing. So far it hasn't even been one full week with the snake and I'm unsure of how fit they are to have this python. Of course, I might be overreacting but I'm unsure of what to do. Please keep in mind that this is not a child. My sibling is a legal adult.

Any advice? And am I wrong about waiting a week and waiting for the snake to properly digest its food before handling?
Handling a snake so soon after eating is asking for regurgitation. You want to wait at least a few days or longer if it's say a retic that's just had a massive rabbit.

Unfortunately some will NEVER listen until it's too late or simply not at all. Not sure what to suggest that's not actually physical.

RedChillHouse

Arachnopeon
Handling a snake so soon after eating is asking for regurgitation. You want to wait at least a few days or longer if it's say a retic that's just had a massive rabbit.

Unfortunately some will NEVER listen until it's too late or simply not at all. Not sure what to suggest that's not actually physical.
Thanks for the reply!

Is it ok if I screenshot that bit where you say it isn't ok to handle a snake after eating? My friend just suggested to get a bunch of info on snake care and print it out so I can walk up to them and give them a crap ton of papers to prove to them how to care for this flipping snake lol

basin79

ArachnoGod
Thanks for the reply!

Is it ok if I screenshot that bit where you say it isn't ok to handle a snake after eating? My friend just suggested to get a bunch of info on snake care and print it out so I can walk up to them and give them a crap ton of papers to prove to them how to care for this flipping snake lol
Of course. There will be terabytes of information stating the same on the net.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Thanks my dude, I've got a great start. Pages upon pages of information just stacking up :)
You might wait until they've eaten a massive meal themselves then pick them up and shake them and ask how they feel.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
You might wait until they've eaten a massive meal themselves then pick them up and shake them and ask how they feel.
Isn't it mandatory to be holding a beer while you do this?

The proper method for handling highly venomous snakes. Note the protective gear, the watchful attentiveness, the precautions, the cool blue monkey slippers...

"If you don't feel what the snake feels, innately know how it feels, you should not work with them." -Pak ay, snake handler, 70+ years experience.

Last edited:

basin79

ArachnoGod

The proper method for handling highly venomous snakes. Note the protective gear, the watchful attentiveness, the precautions, the cool blue monkey slippers...
Handling venomous snakes? You've lost me sir.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Handling venomous snakes? You've lost me sir.
No problem. Just give me your position relative to the sun and I'll send you a map. Or, approximately, you are directly above the center of the earth, give or take.

Back to the OP, deal with an inexperienced.... I'd suggest crotalid therapy. Place said person in a room with a few and lock the door. They will learn very quickly... or no longer need the education.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel

"If you don't feel what the snake feels, innately know how it feels, you should not work with them." -Pak ay, snake handler, 70+ years experience.
"To handle the snake, one must become the snake."