How do I know if my substrate is too dry or wet

JimiJimo

Arachnopeon
Hello possible dumb question but Im a new keeper and I wanna know how I could visually check if the substrate is too dry or too wet, I have slings and Im just concerned about their hydration

donniedark0

chiLLLen
Arachnosupporter
With slings you gotta use your eyes more then touch cause not feasible to be reaching down into tiny enclosures / vials. Unless you have a decent sized one. But look at the substrate from the side view, does it look wet or dry? It will be dark if wet usually. I would be VERY cautious with spraying / misting sling enclosures. Just drop a couple droplets every couple days on one side of the enclosure. That should suffice. Wait a couple days in between, maybe even let it dry out before re-dropping.

JimiJimo

Arachnopeon
With slings you gotta use your eyes more then touch cause not feasible to be reaching down into tiny enclosures / vials. Unless you have a decent sized one. But look at the substrate from the side view, does it look wet or dry? It will be dark if wet usually. I would be VERY cautious with spraying / misting sling enclosures. Just drop a couple droplets every couple days on one side of the enclosure. That should suffice. Wait a couple days in between, maybe even let it dry out before re-dropping.
Thanks :) will def keep that in mind ill prolly only water it evety friday or so unless ofc it looks too dry

What kind of sling do you have?
A G. Pulchripes, T. Vagans, B. Boehmi, L. Striatipes, P. Baeri :)

Last edited by a moderator:

AracnoDreams

Arachnopeon
More so what size are they ? For under 3/4 " and in viles we usually do a small spray on the side of the vile once a week after they get to 3/4 of an inch we use a water bottle cap with a few drops in it and only spray substrate ever two weeks or so . And we find that works for most species unless they are very sensitive to humid such as Avis's and theraphosa usually .

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Reading your post, I've got a few questions:
after they get to 3/4 of an inch we use a water bottle cap with a few drops in it and only spray substrate ever two weeks or so .
Why only a few drops of water in the bottle caps? I use completely filled bottle caps for all my slings and depending on the species I moisten down the substrate by pouring water directly into it. Don't mist or spray the substrate, it'll only get moist on the surface, but you actually need the moisture in the deeper parts as well.

unless they are very sensitive to humid such as Avis's and theraphosa usually .
Assuming you mean Avicularias, it's rather misleading to use these two genera in one sentence. Avics predominantly need dry substrate while Theraphosas need moist substrate.

AracnoDreams

Arachnopeon
Yes a few drops of water from the water bottle ... it probably fills the bottle cap half full ... and yes my auto correct corrected something and I didn't catch it and even for my Avics and my stirmis is only spray substrate down once a week while slings .

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Yes a few drops of water from the water bottle ... it probably fills the bottle cap half full ... and yes my auto correct corrected something and I didn't catch it and even for my Avics and my stirmis is only spray substrate down once a week while slings .
Well, as long as there's enough water in the dishes for them to drink properly... ;) You don't have to be careful though, they won't drown if that's the reason you only fill the water dishes halfway up. ;)

I'm still worried you treat your Avics and your Theraphosas the same way because they couldn't be further apart husbandry-wise. :confused:

AracnoDreams

Arachnopeon
Well since I have been keeping both species for over 20 years and I have never had any issues , not with molting not with feeding and have produced eggsacks . I own and operate Rocky mountain spider freaks with my husband for 15 years ...I don't think you have any reasons to worry .

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I just dump in some tablespoon of water in my slings containers when they looks like they about to dry up

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
for most species it can't be too dry IME. Too wet- when they are on the walls of the container (terrestrials), and/or when mold grows.