How do I get rid of phorid flies

John2097

Arachnoknight
Arachnosupporter
Help. How do I get rid of phorid flies Without using chemical in my tarantula room. They Just keep multiplying. :(
I tried to use fly ribbon for the last couple weeks but only few were trapped. Some of them have laid eggs/ cocon in my t enclosure but every time I notice them I usually remove them. Some have gone into my dubia colony too. Any advice. TIA

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have wrote a long post about traps. You should find it here somewhere

lazarus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They will die off once you remove their food source. They feed on decaying organic matter and also need humidity. Make sure you remove boluses and you might want to clean your dubia colony and remove any dead ones.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Havent tried it, but i read that predatory mites work well against flies.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
They are impossible to get rid of in a large collection. Fly paper and UV fan traps will catch many, but not all. There will always be enough around to breed again in a large collection. It's can be frustrating. Boxes or cases of crickets bought in bulk should be opened outside. They are often infested with Phorid flies or larva.

Later, Tom

toan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think they will still also come in if you buy feeders. I just ignore them. Or try to be really clean and throw out all dead feeders.

FishermanSteve

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
@John2097 Get a small bowl and fill it with apple cider vinegar. Cover it with plastic wrap, poke holes in the plastic with a fork and place it near the tanks with the most activity. It won’t completely eradicate them but it will help tremendously. I’m an exterminator and this is the best way to catch phorid flies and fruit flies in my experience.

John2097

Arachnoknight
Arachnosupporter
@John2097 Get a small bowl and fill it with apple cider vinegar. Cover it with plastic wrap, poke holes in the plastic with a fork and place it near the tanks with the most activity. It won’t completely eradicate them but it will help tremendously. I’m an exterminator and this is the best way to catch phorid flies and fruit flies in my experience.
Awesome. Thanks a lot Steve. Yeah I put them yesterday and after couple of mins boom the fly started to stick like they have swarm the fly ribbon. Made 3 cups yesterday and wrap the 32oz container with fly ribbon and apple cider vinegar in it. Works really well.

Last edited: