how do i get my rosie to eat?

Lolita

Arachnoknight
I know this question has probably been asked a billion times but i got a rosie about a month ago that i rescued i believe it's female (not too great at sexing but have pics of "her" in my gallery) she doesn't look like she's getting ready to molt but she's kinda on the skinny side and i try feeding her weekly roaches crickets meal worms i've tried everything and she'll run over grab the bug like she's gonna eat it then let it go also how long can they go without food without issues

shanebp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How do you get it to eat you say? You get it to eat by:

Waiting.

Lolita

Arachnoknight
will it starve itself to death? i've heard of rosies doing that before i keep offering it food but it wont take it

Den

Arachnosquire
Besides, G. rosea are stuborn eaters. LOL {D My rosey just snagged a cricket right after i said that! Anyway, it's normal. :)

Edit: double that for my H. spinifer lol.

Lolita

Arachnoknight
is there anyway i'll know if she's getting to the point where she's making herself sick? if she does is there anything i can do about it?

Lolita

Arachnoknight
and of course i take about a month to finally post this and the day i do i catch her sitting in the corner of her tank with a roach in her mouth :wall: thanks rosie for making me look bad lol but hey at least she's eating

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My G. rosea went on a 2 1/2 month fast. It was spring time so I suppose it was getting rid of those extra pounds it got from the holidays. {D Some fad diet I suppose ;)

Lolita

Arachnoknight
My G. rosea went on a 2 1/2 month fast. It was spring time so I suppose it was getting rid of those extra pounds it got from the holidays. {D Some fad diet I suppose ;)
thats awesome i literally laughed so hard my sides hurt on that one:clap:

Spidershane1

Arachnoknight
I've had one that only ate 2 crickets in the span of over a year. I guess you really dont require that much nutrition when all you do is sit there 24/7.

PitViper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Lol, I have a big B Smithi female that wont eat Dubia or Lateralis, but she will massacre crickets, some Ts are just weird, lol

web eviction

Arachnolord
I had a rosie go 2 full years lol yes years without eating anything:eek:! I have one right now that is at month 3 today won't touch anything I put in there

Lolita

Arachnoknight
I had a rosie go 2 full years lol yes years without eating anything:eek:! I have one right now that is at month 3 today won't touch anything I put in there
thats crazy i guess in nature they're just so used to having to survive that they get used to skipping meals sometimes

Jorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Lol, I have a big B Smithi female that wont eat Dubia or Lateralis, but she will massacre crickets, some Ts are just weird, lol
SAME HERE! My B. schroederi and one of my B. smithis will ONLY eat crickets! The rest of my collection will eat anything that moves. Too funny.

Last edited:

Glory

Arachnopeon
I've heard that because they are inside and can't differentiate between the seasons, they will eat everything you give them for a period of time, and then just STOP eating completely. Mine didn't eat for 3 or 4 months. Now I feed her 3 crickets about every week/week and a half.

Spiderman24

Arachnoknight
Just wait it out. he/she will get hungry for something sometime. just keep offering =) its weird to see peoples roseas fast because besides my ornata my rose hair is my biggest eater. lol shell eat 4 or 5 crickets literally every feeding! Which might I add I offer food every other day! My whole family says she's my laziest and fattest spider. ROFL we named her donut