How do i get an living plant in my terrarium that can be eaten by the animal

Carthropod

Arachnosquire
For god's sake.
I Have indian stick insects. they will be going with Archimandrita tesselata in an bigger terrarium i think
I want live plants for keeping the ground helthy and for food for stick insects
But i dont trust a plant from a shop because it will be riddled with chemicals
reptile safe plants have less, but reptiles wont eat it so a bit isnt bad. im feeding little stick insects with it

SO HOW DO I GET A PLANT WITHOUT DAMAGING TOXINS FOR MY STICK INSECTS

Carthropod

Arachnosquire
For god's sake.
I Have indian stick insects. they will be going with Archimandrita tesselata in an bigger terrarium i think
I want live plants for keeping the ground helthy and for food for stick insects
But i dont trust a plant from a shop because it will be riddled with chemicals
reptile safe plants have less, but reptiles wont eat it so a bit isnt bad. im feeding little stick insects with it

SO HOW DO I GET A PLANT WITHOUT DAMAGING TOXINS FOR MY STICK INSECTS
Not going to add it with that speciee tough

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
Could you send photos of what your feeding you Indian stick insects. I’m pretty sure it’s bramble, hellish is an accurate description of bramble... :lol:

Indian stick insects can also be fed on privet and multiple other food plants. Instead of buying chemical ridden garden centre plants find wild plants that Indian stick insects feed on within your local area (there are a lot of possible options, search it up) and dig up or trim branches of these potential food plants. If you’ve dug the plants up with their roots etc. plant them in the aquarium as you would with garden plants. If you’ve taken branches of your plant then put them in water for a week or so until roots start to form and plant it in the aquarium.

Hope that made sense...:)

Carthropod

Arachnosquire
brar
Could you send photos of what your feeding you Indian stick insects. I’m pretty sure it’s bramble, hellish is an accurate description of bramble... :lol:

Indian stick insects can also be fed on privet and multiple other food plants. Instead of buying chemical ridden garden centre plants find wild plants that Indian stick insects feed on within your local area (there are a lot of possible options, search it up) and dig up or trim branches of these potential food plants. If you’ve dug the plants up with their roots etc. plant them in the aquarium as you would with garden plants. If you’ve taken branches of your plant then put them in water for a week or so until roots start to form and plant it in the aquarium.

bramble grows berries right, its not that

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
Ok, the berries aren’t always there. I’d try to dig up a bit of what your feeding your Indian stick insects and put it in a plant pot. Grow it a little more (wait a couple of weeks) and then plant it in the vivarium. You’ll need to wait a little while to grow enough in the vivarium for the Indian stick insects to eat.

Carthropod

Arachnosquire

15837693339186900172697151461352.jpg
It is a herbera i remembered it @ColeopteraC

Carthropod

Arachnosquire
Ok, the berries aren’t always there. I’d try to dig up a bit of what your feeding your Indian stick insects and put it in a plant pot. Grow it a little more (wait a couple of weeks) and then plant it in the vivarium. You’ll need to wait a little while to grow enough in the vivarium for the Indian stick insects to eat.
Thanks how long is a couple weeks, the plants in my garden are here for what i think over 3 years and they are eating that so that can be planted prob is that it neede somesort of wall or flat vertical surface to grow and it fill sort of fuse and grow stuck to it i will try it

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
Ooh! Ok, over here we call that ivy. Basically, find more and put it in a glass of water. After couple of weeks or so it’ll start forming roots, you can plant it in your aquarium and supply it with some wood etc. It’ll also grow on the hides for the roaches so that’ll be fine.

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
Thanks how long is a couple weeks, the plants in my garden are here for what i think over 3 years and they are eating that so that can be planted prob is that it neede somesort of wall or flat vertical surface to grow and it fill sort of fuse and grow stuck to it i will try it
While at waiting get a jam jar or food container, fill it with water and poke holes in the lid, put the plant in the holes and this will keep it alive while still you wait for it to grow and keep your stick insects fed

Carthropod

Arachnosquire
Ooh! Ok, over here we call that ivy. Basically, find more and put it in a glass of water. After couple of weeks or so it’ll start forming roots, you can plant it in your aquarium and supply it with some wood etc. It’ll also grow on the hides for the roaches so that’ll be fine.
Oof i read this while preparing earth, coco fiber* but i will keep it for the terrarium itself it will be here tommorow

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
You can try oak, rose, privet, and bramble. I’ve never used ivy.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Indian stick insects can also be fed on privet
Just thought I'd check and query this. Privet is a well known highly poisonous plant that has caused the death of numerous horses. It contains Terpenoid glycosides such as ligustrum, syringin, and oleuropein.
Is this similar to hornworm caterpillars thriving on wild tobacco and oleander?

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Just thought I'd check and query this. Privet is a well known highly poisonous plant that has caused the death of numerous horses. It contains Terpenoid glycosides such as ligustrum, syringin, and oleuropein.
I didn’t know that about it and horses, but it’s not toxic to phasmids!

The Snark

Old Timer
Memories of sitting in a restaurant watching a hornworm horde strip the leaves off an oleander hedge. Invertebrates never cease to amaze me.

Carthropod

Arachnosquire
Wow, if im right POISON ivy is a doffrent species then herdera

The Snark

Old Timer
It's a common mistake confusing Herdera, poisonous ivy, with the Rhus genus as R Toxicondendra, poison ivy.

Carthropod

Arachnosquire
its not for the roaches tough food for phasmids