How do I feed my OBT sling in all that webbing?

Slickleg

Arachnopeon
Hi all.

I have had my OBT sling for nearly a month now but i cant seem to get it to eat.
Those of you that keep OBT's know that they dig burrows and web them up. This is my first expirience keeping one of these.

Im starting to worry as it has not eaten anything in my care yet i have tried meal worms but perhaps they where to large so im going to try some small crickets.

What is the best way of feeding and dealing with OBT slings when burrowed in with that mass of webbing?

Thank you in advance.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Do you have long feeding tongs so you can drop the feeders right near the burrow?

If you are already doing so, it may be in premolt. My P. murinus finds it's prey easily in the webbing.

HAGAR

Arachnosquire
Mine didnt have any problems with finding their food, no matter where it got stuck to a web. But try and get it as close to the burrow hole as possible.

Just be carefull, as soon as you take the lid off the container, just keep a look out for the obt, they love to run. and they are flash gordon fast lol :)

Slickleg

Arachnopeon
So what would be the best way of handling a single very small cricket and doping it where i want it. When my G.Pulchripes was a sling i fed it meal worms not small crickets so this is a new challenge for me.

Salamanderhead

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Drop a cricket in. They move a lot so it attracts the OBT. Theyre much braver at tackling larger prey when they have a web/ burrow to hide in from my observation too.

Slickleg

Arachnopeon
Thanks Salamnderhead ill give it bash tomorrow when i buy crickets. I think ill pick up some good quality forceps i'm told ill need them for when my little terror is a big terror...

shanebp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
OBT's are really predictable. Soon enough you'll know exactly when its hungry, when its not, etc.. Just observe for a while, you'll start to notice when its hungry it will be out (legs protruding outside its burrow etc..) and when its not hungry or in premolt, it will go underground and you won't see it for a while. So right now, take a look at its behavior, and if its protruding outside its burrow, drop a cricket in. If the OBT is really small, smash its head, or rip its legs off to give the tarantula an advantage.

ikarus_black

Arachnopeon
So what would be the best way of h
andling a single very small cricket and doping it where i want it. When my G.Pulchripes was a sling i fed it meal worms not small crickets so this is a new challenge for me.
...well what I do when I feed tiny little pinheads, its that I just put the small container where I keep them in the freezer for around 5 to 10 min to slow them down and then with the cap of a pen, I pick the right one and wait for the pinhead to regain heat and movement and drop it in the cage, they will run like crazy and that will help ur little OBT to sense the pinhead.

Hope this helps!

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
OBT's are really predictable. Soon enough you'll know exactly when its hungry, when its not, etc.. Just observe for a while, you'll start to notice when its hungry it will be out (legs protruding outside its burrow etc..) and when its not hungry or in premolt, it will go underground and you won't see it for a while. So right now, take a look at its behavior, and if its protruding outside its burrow, drop a cricket in. If the OBT is really small, smash its head, or rip its legs off to give the tarantula an advantage.
I first read this and was like, "Oh no! Don't smash the OBT's head or rip its legs off!"

Slickleg

Arachnopeon
Brilliant thanks. At the moment there is a thin silk sheen over the opening of the silk funnel. my obt seems quite recluse only coming up now and again to do a little webbing. I was somewhat concerned even when doping a cricket in last night as my obt does not seem as active as what other obt keepers reported theres being. perhaps it's gearing up for a molt as it didn't go straight for the kill when the cricket entered the burrow and the cricket was down there for a really long time.