How do I catch a jumping spider

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
I want to catch and keep a jumping spider today but I have almost no idea how to do it. I know about beating bushes but I don't want to buy a beat sheet. Dose anyone have any idea how to catch them or any tips and tricks.

OliverWhatever

Arachnosquire
Why catch them? If you have native jumping spiders, it's better to observe them in the wild.

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
I have an old bag of mulch by my house that is absolutely covered with their little sock retreats. They like the crinkles in the bag, I guess. Look in crevices on walls or depressions in large rocks, etc for little silk socks.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
That white fibrous material used in upholstering. The very fine stuff. When a jumper lands it is, it's stuck. Instead of further jumps it tries to move very slow and cautiously. Watch a jumper trying to negotiate over your hairy arm.
So just surround the jumper with the fluff, let it jump and land on it then carry it to where you want, invert the material and shake it off. You will never harm the spider.
Also works with Wolfies and Huntsman to keep them more or less immobile.

This idea came from my wife's trick of capturing spiders and putting them on her head. Hilltribe kids around here are always chasing the sparassids using this trick when they catch them.
Runners, hunting spiders, have a phobia when it comes to web like materials. They tend to freeze or move very slowly and cautiously. Very similar to trying to run on ice wearing those spiffy $200 tennis shoes, or wearing ice skates on a tennis court. Their feet are entirely unadapted to the surface.

Last edited: