how do I care for a giant house spider (e.atrica) with 5 legs?

maisie8

Arachnopeon
This morning I found a spider with a few legs missing in the sink, I gave her a toilet paper ladder to climb up but a few hours later she was still there sat under it, so I've decided to look after her. She only has one leg on one side but can walk okay.
So I've got an old tank I kept tadpoles in last year, put some dirt and plants and sticks and made a little cave out of stones which she's hiding in right now.
I've never kept spiders before, do I have to buy live crickets? She's over an inch long including legs when sat normally, so I'm assuming is an adult but I'm worried about her catching prey with only 5 legs?
I've put a few tiny dead flies I found on a windowsill in her tank but she's just been hiding and taken no interest in them all day.
I'm assuming she's a female because its april, and I heard that the males of this species only live a year and die in autumn after mating, so I'm thinking any males I find this time of year would be a lot smaller
Any tips at all would be helpful :)

NathanB

Arachnosquire
You have done everything right so far, give her about a week or two to settle in and make a web, then try to feed her some sort of live prey (no bees or wasps) that is no bigger than her abdomen (butt) she should be fine as long as she can walk.
House spiders can go about a month without food so do not worry if she doesnt eat.

Also you can see if she is male or female by the pedepalps. The pedepalps look l ike tiny little legs near her fangs or mouth, if the pedepalps look like they have little balls on the end of them then it is male, if not then it is female.

Hope this makes sence, if not then do abit more research.
Good luck 👍

Also flies are a good food source as the spider is wild caught, be warned they may have some sort of parasite in them so if you can buy small crickets or meal worms then do so. 👍

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
If you buy crickets and are worried about her missing a few legs, you can cripple the crickets by either removing their hind legs, or giving them a quick stab so they're twitching but not dead. Place near the spider and she'll do her thing.

maisie8

Arachnopeon
You have done everything right so far, give her about a week or two to settle in and make a web, then try to feed her some sort of live prey (no bees or wasps) that is no bigger than her abdomen (butt) she should be fine as long as she can walk.
House spiders can go about a month without food so do not worry if she doesnt eat.

Also you can see if she is male or female by the pedepalps. The pedepalps look l ike tiny little legs near her fangs or mouth, if the pedepalps look like they have little balls on the end of them then it is male, if not then it is female.

Hope this makes sence, if not then do abit more research.
Good luck 👍

Also flies are a good food source as the spider is wild caught, be warned they may have some sort of parasite in them so if you can buy small crickets or meal worms then do so. 👍
Thank you!! that's really helpful, I cant really get a good enough look right now as she's still hiding under rocks and I don't want her to get crushed!

If you buy crickets and are worried about her missing a few legs, you can cripple the crickets by either removing their hind legs, or giving them a quick stab so they're twitching but not dead. Place near the spider and she'll do her thing.
If there's a way I can make it easier for her without having to hurt them myself, I'd much rather that?
but then I guess I would prefer her to not get injured or anything so if it comes down to it I will, sounds a bit stupid because they'll be eaten anyway but I don't like things being hurt (hence why I'm looking after an amputee spider:rolleyes::lol:)

Im curious, in her following molts, will the legs grow back?
Would be amazing if they do, but I have no idea!

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
If there's a way I can make it easier for her without having to hurt them myself, I'd much rather that?
but then I guess I would prefer her to not get injured or anything so if it comes down to it I will, sounds a bit stupid because they'll be eaten anyway but I don't like things being hurt (hence why I'm looking after an amputee spider:rolleyes::lol:)
You can also put them in the fridge for a while to slow them down. They won't be able to react to her as quickly and she'll have a distinct advantage over them.

If she isn't an adult they should grow back with subsequent molts. If she is though it's unlikely since she won't really need to molt anymore.