How do I breed crickets?

cooperevans001

Arachnosquire
Hey everyone. Just wanted to ask how I would go abut breeding crickets for feeding. I got the basics, but want to know what food I should use, lighting, etc.. also, what are some other feeding animals that you guys suggest for T's? Thanks.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
wrong sub-forum. this should be in "Insects, other invertebrates and Arthropods".

cooperevans001

Arachnosquire
Are roaches good for slings under 1"? Got some 1/4" slings coming in that I am going to need to feed...

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Switch to roaches :D

But no, really, don't bother breeding anything unless you've got a large collection. If you really want to breed something, do dubia roaches. Crickets are relatively difficult to breed. All of my spiders - regardless of size - get dubias.

N1ghtFire

Arachnoknight
I breed my own crickets because I have some super tiny slings that can only eat tiny pinhead crickets, but I only breed a very small amount. I had 2 female crickets, 1 male, and last batch of eggs got me around 50 pinheads. I don't do anything real special for breeding them, i put a small container of dirt with screen over it on the cage to lay eggs in. Then about every 10 days I replace the container and put it in an styrofoam incubator I have for hatching chicken eggs and keep them on the low 80's until they hatch. I dont consier them to be hard to breed at all. I dont use any extra heat or lighting for the crickets, just keep them at room tempature.

N1ghtFire

Arachnoknight
Switch to roaches :D

But no, really, don't bother breeding anything unless you've got a large collection. If you really want to breed something, do dubia roaches. Crickets are relatively difficult to breed. All of my spiders - regardless of size - get dubias.
Do you have any aboreals that you feed dubia? I've tried getting my avics to eat them, but they seem to prefer dubia as a roommate instead of food. :rolleyes:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Do you have any aboreals that you feed dubia? I've tried getting my avics to eat them, but they seem to prefer dubia as a roommate instead of food. :rolleyes:
I don't keep many arboreals, but they all eat dubia. I have an A. avicularia that was very hesitant of roaches at first. A couple months without food changed her tune, and now she takes them happily.

In my house, the spiders either eat dubia or nothing at all.

tetracerus

Arachnosquire
Are roaches good for slings under 1"? Got some 1/4" slings coming in that I am going to need to feed...
Mealworms cut into pieces will do. I haven't personally bred crickets but having kept some alive for a week and a half was enough to convince me to never raise them. They are smelly and loud and probably not worth your time.

Last edited: