How do I ACTUALLY keep humid species?

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Having made great grades this semester, it's possible that I could be getting another new invert pet :D. I'm thinking about P. imperator,which yes, is a scorpion, but I plan to use this humidity advice for all humid inverts in the future. Any questions specific to the scorpion, I will post in the scorpions forum.

Experience: I've had mold before in my G. pulchripes's enclosures, despite keeping her dry. First, I had her on some cheap coco-fiber knockoff stuff that was pretty ugly, but right now,she's on a mix of coco fiber and topsoil. The topsoil had moisture in the bag it came in, and even though I never watered it, it stayed pretty wet for a long time. Mold grew in there. It was pretty annoying.

So for a humid species, I just need to keep the substrate moist, right? I've got a water bottle with holes poked in the lid to do that. But what sub should I use to minimize mold growth? I would prefer not to have to use isopods, but if I have to, I will.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I like to use a brand called Repti Soil. It doesn't get nearly as moldy as coco fiber and has vermiculite pieces in it to help retain moisture. I'd focus on keeping the substrate moist, and having both cross and top ventilation for decent air circulation which will help combat mold. For moisture dependent species, I like to use a bulb syringe to inject water into the lower levels of the substrate, which will evaporate nicely through the layers over time. Don't worry too much about "humidity" necessarily...moist substrate and good ventilation are what you need to focus on.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Having made great grades this semester, it's possible that I could be getting another new invert pet :D. I'm thinking about P. imperator,which yes, is a scorpion, but I plan to use this humidity advice for all humid inverts in the future. Any questions specific to the scorpion, I will post in the scorpions forum.
This is NOT a good approach. Inverts are not a one size fits all animal

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This is NOT a good approach. Inverts are not a one size fits all animal

@Moakmeister I agree with Mori, I would not at all risk lives with a 1 size fits all. On the surface this can end in disaster for your little guys. Def check w/the communities that keep your pets.

I like to use a brand called Repti Soil. It doesn't get nearly as moldy as coco fiber and has vermiculite pieces in it to help retain moisture. I'd focus on keeping the substrate moist, and having both cross and top ventilation for decent air circulation which will help combat mold. For moisture dependent species, I like to use a bulb syringe to inject water into the lower levels of the substrate, which will evaporate nicely through the layers over time. Don't worry too much about "humidity" necessarily...moist substrate and good ventilation are what you need to focus on.
How long have you been using ReptiSoil. I havent seen it yet. I read ZooMed's site, sounds rather interesting compared to coco fiber. I've always been a fan of peat, having used it before.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
@Moakmeister I agree with Mori, I would not at all risk lives with a 1 size fits all. On the surface this can end in disaster for your little guys. Def check w/the communities that keep your pets.

How long have you been using ReptiSoil. I havent seen it yet. I read ZooMed's site, sounds rather interesting compared to coco fiber. I've always been a fan of peat, having used it before.
Thanks, I appreciate the advice.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer

I have used reptisoil. I'm not a huge fan, holds moisture far too well.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
No mold, but too much moisture retention for my dart frogs. Soggy, smelly soil after a few months
Too much for PDFs, wow. That's surprising with all the tanks I see over at DB forum, some of them are just coated in water on the glass.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I found a mix of coco fiber and peat moss together to hold good amount moisture, but not too much, and not mold as quick as others, and it packs down and holds shape better than just coco fiber. Peat moss is also dirt cheep if you guy a giant bale of it, that will last you years. I use it for a additive in my caudiciforms and succulents soil and for my inverts. Gotta live two in ones.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I might get a small bag and give it a try. Too well like you grow mold a lot?
It can still grow mold if things are left stagnant, but I personally like it a lot better than coco fiber, etc. because it holds moisture well but doesn't mold nearly as much. I use it in my T. stirmi enclosure and I've liked it so far.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
So for a humid species, I just need to keep the substrate moist, right? I've got a water bottle with holes poked in the lid to do that. But what sub should I use to minimize mold growth? I would prefer not to have to use isopods, but if I have to, I will.
You pretty much got it. The difference in keeping a tropical species from a species from a dry habitat is just a matter of keeping the soil/ substrate damp. Of course, I am only coming from the tarantula world though. No need for a different substrate from the top soil/ coco fiber mix you currently use- it's all I use too. You're always going to get some mold growth in a damp/ humid enclosure and it really shouldn't be a problem unless you have a large outbreak. Husbandry for tropical species of anything is going to require a bit more attention and work than the husbandry for species from a xeric habitat.

Experience: I've had mold before in my G. pulchripes's enclosures, despite keeping her dry. First, I had her on some cheap coco-fiber knockoff stuff that was pretty ugly, but right now,she's on a mix of coco fiber and topsoil. The topsoil had moisture in the bag it came in, and even though I never watered it, it stayed pretty wet for a long time. Mold grew in there. It was pretty annoying.

Hi
Mould suggests poor ventilation.Instead of poking holes on the lid only put some on the sides too.With good cross ventilation (holes on sides and top you will reduce the chance of getting mould significantly in moist enclosures
Regards Konstantin

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It can still grow mold if things are left stagnant, but I personally like it a lot better than coco fiber, etc. because it holds moisture well but doesn't mold nearly as much. I use it in my T. stirmi enclosure and I've liked it so far.
I don't have a problem with mold at all with cocofiber.

woodie

Arachnosquire
With humid species I've gotten best results with cross ventilation and no top ventilation if possible. For burrowing tropical scorpions I've done well with a mix of coir, organic potting soil, clay soil and oak leaves.