How do centipedes sneak up on tarantulas?

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
A whole bunch of nature documentaries depict centipedes running right up to a tarantula and biting it and killing it. There's no strategy, they just charge right in and it works. Are tarantulas inattentive? Can't they tell the centipede is coming from like ten feet away?

clive 82

Arachnoknight
A whole bunch of nature documentaries depict centipedes running right up to a tarantula and biting it and killing it. There's no strategy, they just charge right in and it works. Are tarantulas inattentive? Can't they tell the centipede is coming from like ten feet away?
I think most centipedes learn this strategy at the centipede ninja school. When they have passed various other tests they then sneak up on unsuspecting Ts.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Dude, these questions you ask....fascinating!
You should double post this over in the myriapods section to get the centipede-point of view as well.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
You say that there's no strategy, while the truth is that centipedes are skilled calculators :-s

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
They're light enough not to cause too many vibrations. So long as the pede isn't on a web I doubt the spider would notice it.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
You're funny :) I see that little cartoon guy that's your avatar and I usually smile. Btw, I actually picture the cartoon guy asking these questions.......

Sana

Arachnoprince
They're light enough not to cause too many vibrations. So long as the pede isn't on a web I doubt the spider would notice it.
Are they lighter than a small cricket? I've never seen a small prey item sneak up on a tarantula. Is there a connection to the way they move?

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
Are they lighter than a small cricket? I've never seen a small prey item sneak up on a tarantula. Is there a connection to the way they move?
The way I see it is that their weight is distributed enough so that the vibrations are negligable.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I don't have much knowledge or interest on these fight videos, but the couple I see on YouTube look like they are staged rather than having a tarantula in its true home.

Having said that, what "insect" does the tarantula try to aggressive defend itself against (if the tarantula isn't hungry)? A tarantula will let a cricket walk right by it and even go into defense posture but not attack it. Is the tarantula smart enough to know the difference between this cricket and a centipede? Who wins if the tarantula is hungry?

Sana

Arachnoprince
I'm wondering if we're talking a post molt tarantula as well. Tarantulas post molt while hardening can't defend themselves so well.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Ah ah, I love this clone-thread, someone talking here didn't in the Myriapod section (clone) one and viceversa :-s

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Centipedes are VERY intelligent especially when compared to tarantulas.

The fact that people can socialize them is proof enough for me.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Centipedes are VERY intelligent especially when compared to tarantulas.

The fact that people can socialize them is proof enough for me.
I can relate with the ideas that a lot of creatures might be smarter than a tarantula, but you have sparked a curiosity for me. I have never read that much about centipedes. What do you mean by socialize? Does this mean you can train them?

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I can relate with the ideas that a lot of creatures might be smarter than a tarantula, but you have sparked a curiosity for me. I have never read that much about centipedes. What do you mean by socialize? Does this mean you can train them?
Check out ThePureLife on YouTube. He handles (huge) centipedes regularly and has some videos on socializing them.

You can have them recognize your scent (so to speak) or at least realize you're not food/a predator.

I'm still waiting for @Chris LXXIX to try this with his girl. :astonished:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I'm still waiting for @Chris LXXIX to try this with his girl. :astonished:
I work with her removing completely the top. I love to pinpoint her lifting a bit, very gently, her best piece of cork bark just for say hello. I've removed her wandering babies without issues... she's an "angel" + or - but no my man, no :kiss:

I woulnd't handle her not today not tomorrow either, that venom is BRUTAL :)

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
You're funny :) I see that little cartoon guy that's your avatar and I usually smile. Btw, I actually picture the cartoon guy asking these questions.......
@Moakmeister avatar I am pretty sure is a Gyrados combined with a troll face meme.

I would not trust a centipede any more than I would trust any of my invertebrates. They are not dogs.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
So do you have to re-socialize with them each time or do they remember you from that point forward?

I noticed that he dropped them a couple times. I suppose that means they are a little more durable than a tarantula.