How did you learn all your info on Tarantula's?

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Never read a book.. Never been to school for them.. No other.. Have only talked to one other person IRL about them.. That was yesterday.. Beyond that.. Right here.. On AB..

kenzie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would have to say a lot, if not most has come from personal experience. That, and talking to others who have had success with species that we have been working with. Books have been good, but have played a very very minor role.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Books, lectures, experience, internet, communications with people who have experience with or knowledge of tarantulas. Not all sources are specifically about tarantulas - some sources deal with other arachnids, or even other sciences altogether - but information can be assembled from many sources. Direct observation and critical thinking contribute a lot.

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
First I used the search function on this site about 2 weeks before I became a member. I still use it. Watched a lot of youtube vids of responsible keepers. Then I picked up The Tarantula Keeper's Guide revised edition. Then I bought my first T. :)

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Almost all my learning before I came to arachnoboards was from robc and jon3800 on youtube!:worship:

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I read lot of books since I was a kid, I researched ALOT on the internet, asked my friends a lot about the spiders. Then again researched habitats, requrements, climate, weather.....again ALOT.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
books, internet, articles, and personal experiences.

Versi*JP*Color

Arachnoknight
I got a little into tarantulas,so I searched them up.

I learned by Dealer sites like kenthebugguy.com and watching youtube(RobC-I only like Jon3800's feeding vids).

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
I read a lot before I got my first one (mostly here.) I was already friends with a member of AB, he pointed me here, and we had a lot of long discussions about them before I started in the hobby.

I still haven't read any books, if I have questions, I search like crazy. I also have a few friends that I made since joining here, that helped me a lot when I was just starting out. That's about it.

PrimalTaunt

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A lot of what I learned was shutting up and listening (well... reading) what people had to say here. There is a lot of knowledge to be found on this board if people know how to find it (I.E. do an extensive search and then ask in the appropriate forum - not every question is scientific in nature).

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
independent study

i started out reading care sheets and forums until i realized how dangerous that was. then i started really searching for scientific papers. i can EASILY tell when someone has done no research into taxonomy based on how they identify stuff from pictures. if they continually claim rock solid IDs i know they haven't researched or retained single figure % of what they did research. there is nothing inherently bad about care sheets or forums... except 95+% of the info on them is, well, wrong. if you know who actually knows there stuff versus who is a parrot, a confabulator, or a run of the mill idiot then sheets and forums become a much better prospect for right learning... but you have to suffer through ALL the crap on them, too.

hobby books can be dangerous, too. the only book i really trust is the Schultzs' Tarantula Keeper's Guide cuz they are constantly checking it for completeness and accuracy and make revisions. and even there, there is some stuff i don't agree with 100%

actual science books are better... but a lot of times they don't have a lot of info that is obviously directly applicable to the hobby. and a lot read like greek unless you have learned the taxo and physio lingo before hand.

here's a clue... if your studying doesn't go through a period of needing to look up a word or term every ten minutes you aren't really biting into meaty enough material to get *good*

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mackenzie and books for the most part, and then doing extensive research on here for more specific questions...for example, when we were thinking of starting to breed our albos, I did a ton of researching and searching through old threads. I also did a ton of lurking on here in the beginning.

Cass

HankyPankyRoe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Info

Thank You! That's what I've pretty much been doing so far. I'm getting there, lol.

One good thing is my first breeding attempt with my B. Vagans went very well, and now I have a bunch of the little guys running around!

PitViper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Most of what I know comes form being on Arachnoboards daily and reading info on all diff sp's through the net.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Books, Arachnoboards, ATS, BTS, VL, google, experience. word of mouth.

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i learn everything i need to know from un33dit. (gary)

moose