How did this happen?!

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
Punctured T 24 HRS after molt

Yesterday While I was at work one of my G. Roseas molted.
I just now went to check on her, and upon close examine she's BLEEDING from what appears to be her femur, and the skin on one of her feet is missing a strip the whole way around (as if someone was trying to cut her foot off, with circular clippers) In return the foot is bent at a 90 degree angle. (also spotted another spot of hemoglobin, another possible puncture but am not going to investigate that one as i've stressed her enough)

All we have in the house is flour, so I put that on her wound. I have her in ICU as I dont know how much Hemo was lost, and since she just molted is probobly already dehydrated. (but then again, should I keep her dry so her wounds dry???)

Pictures soon!

Last edited:

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
Before anyone asks,
their Tank is 40 gallon tall filled halfway ('bout 6 inches) with coconut fibre.
Has a log hide-out, with NO rocks, a fake plant and 2 Everyday sticks (for decorative purposes....)

She doesnt normally climb, I would understand if she just had the one puncture but the foot thing is extremely odd.

NevularScorpion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
the substrate is probably to dry and not enough humidity for her to molt properly :( sorry to hear that I hope recovers safely. good luck on her

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
the substrate is probably to dry and not enough humidity for her to molt properly :( sorry to hear that I hope recovers safely. good luck on her

Temps are High 80's along with humidity. If anything the sub was too Moist fer her. (the top inch of substrate is Dry, Below that is a mystery really)

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Hope you get pics up soon. Otherwise it seems you did all there needs to be done at this point. Maybe there are some rogue feeder/wild insects hiding in there somewhere? Otherwise it may have just been a bad molt.

Hope she pulls through.

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
These were taken AFTER the powder was applied....

You cant really see the foot in any of these, and it's impossible to get a Shot of it but It's bent at a 90 DEgree angle and the foot is seperated from the rest of the body Via Exoskeleton.

And here's her cage:

And as far as rogue insects go, There's Maybee a B.Dubia or two in there and a Few(less than 10) rolli-pollies for clean-up.

KnightinGale

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't know what might have caused those injuries. I don't think it would have been humidity. You seem to have plenty, and most tarantulas don't need as much as many care sheets say anyway as long as they always have a wide, shallow dish of clean water.
On the plus side, though, mystery that such injuries may be, if they are only on the legs your lady could pull through just fine. When hemolymph starts leaking from the body, there can be a serious problem, but tarantulas quite easily lose and regrow legs if they have to. Now the question becomes, how bad are the legs? Seriously, if it were me, I would remove the one that is bent funny. They can regrow legs just fine, but if it is left on and the scar tissue goes too deep, she could get stuck in her next molt and have even more problems. It hurts to do, but a quick pinch and twist and it is done. They have special muscles above their femur to shut off the flow of hemo when a whole leg comes off. I don't know about the other one without seeing it. The pictures don't show it very well.
I do hope your lady pulls through. I think she can. Just once you have treated her injuries maybe leave her absolutely alone for a week or so to let her recover. She won't need food or anything that soon after a molt anyway.
Knight in Gale

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
IMO, that enclosure looks like a death trap for a terrestrial... there are plenty of places for a rosea to fall in there. You may want to think about raising the substrate level higher towards the lid and taking out a few of the shakier/less stable decorations like the sticks. A lot of times, terrestrial tarantulas can get injured on stuff like that...

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
The sticks in the enclosure ore secured by about 3" of Substrate. and are as smooth as can be so I dont see those being a hazard, as for the rest of the tank I've been slowly adding more Substrate..Even thinking about changing it to a different.

Update: I checked on her this morning and her leg is still bleeding As if
I've never patched it. I cant do much at the moment but Is there anything else I can do, besides Pinching her leg? After I get out of work I'm going to stop by a 24/7 CVS and pick up some new skin and see if that will help her. I'm not sure what to do with the "loose" foot though, any suggestions? Should I patch that up as well?

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The sticks in the enclosure ore secured by about 3" of Substrate. and are as smooth as can be so I dont see those being a hazard, as for the rest of the tank I've been slowly adding more Substrate..Even thinking about changing it to a different.

Update: I checked on her this morning and her leg is still bleeding As if
I've never patched it. I cant do much at the moment but Is there anything else I can do, besides Pinching her leg? After I get out of work I'm going to stop by a 24/7 CVS and pick up some new skin and see if that will help her. I'm not sure what to do with the "loose" foot though, any suggestions? Should I patch that up as well?

The sticks are a hazard because if your rosea decides to climb on them, it will fall off. That's one way that I can think of.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As far as the bleeding goes, you can use superglue. As for the foot, it will probably drop it on it's own.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If the difference between the top of the tank and the substrate is more than a spider's legspan, then it is too high. Just an FYI.

For now, I'd keep in an ICU, and hope for the best.

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
Edit: She's drinking, I really think she's going to be okay. I'm hoping no lost limbs. (i've deceided to let her figure out if she wants it or not)...

..Now to hijack my own thread, Can anyone show me the propper set-up for C.Fimbriatus?

Last edited:

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A few months ago I acquired a small Brachypelma boehmei that molted just after I got it. It was a little on the thin side when I got it, and I suspect it hadn't been provided with enough water/moisture before I got it. When it molted, one of the legs was messed up -skinny and bent in a strange direction. Since then it's been fed well and provided with drinking water and a mild level of humidity in the substrate. It molted again a few days ago and looks a whole lot better now.

I can only guess about the situation with your tarantula - I can't tell all that much looking at the pictures. But consider moisture and humidity as possible factors, along with food and potential injuries.