How could I pack my T for a flight/shipping and would it arrive healthy?

Emi248

Arachnoknight
I am in the possibility to have to move from around the Center of Mexico to Boston, Obviously no one wants to care my "kid eater" B. auratum, Ive never packed a T for shipping (Ill probably do that since I find hard that airlines allow it in my hand backpack), So does someone have a good source to learn/imitate packaging from? And also, since the trip is a long one, will it arrive healthy? P.S, She's about 3 inches.

USNGunner

Arachnosquire
Customs won't be an issue? I sent a generic information request to USDA asking for clarification. I'll let you know what they say.

Last edited:

joossa

Arachnobaron
The venomous attribute and international nature are going to be big challenges. Hope to learn more from other's posts here.

sasker

Arachnoprince
I don't think it will be that easy to import a CITES-protected animal from its native country Mexico to the US. Do you have CITES papers for this tarantula?

If I were you, I would find someone to adopt your B. auratum and get another tarantula in Boston. Maybe not what you want to hear, but I think this is your best option.

Emi248

Arachnoknight
I don't think it will be that easy to import a CITES-protected animal from its native country Mexico to the US. Do you have CITES papers for this tarantula?

If I were you, I would find someone to adopt your B. auratum and get another tarantula in Boston. Maybe not what you want to hear, but I think this is your best option.
Ill see If my friend cares for it 1 year, cause I don't quite wanna give it away, But thanks for the option!

Forgot to say the move is only for a year.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You’ll need licenses to export/import, deal with US customs- not too expensive a couple hundred if I recall for a license.

Point is, it is not at all only about mailing an animal.

What you need from MX is beyond me.

jc55

Arachnoknight
Ill see If my friend cares for it 1 year, cause I don't quite wanna give it away, But thanks for the option!

Forgot to say the move is only for a year.
Probably sounds like your best option if your friend will accept but best of luck with that and your trip.

Malum Argenteum

Arachnoknight
Yes, you'll need import/export permits (and need to check into local and state possession laws at your destination).

Removing the animal from MX without a permit is a violation of US Federal law. Bringing the animal into the US without a permit is a violation of US Federal law. Shipping it with a non-approved carrier is a violation of US Federal law. Packing an animal improperly for shipping is a violation of a US Federal law (including proper labeling with species name). Possession in violation of sate or local laws can be prosecuted under US Federal law. Also, anything/anybody coming in from Mexico is likely to get nitpicked, and any excuse for legal action is likely going to be good enough (such as, say, suspecting that the animal maybe isn't the species it is labeled as).

Please don't do this without permits. Every wildlife violation (or even suspected violation) by any person in any exotic animal hobby affects my future in the hobby. There are literally millions of people in the US who take every opportunity they get to prohibit the keeping of exotic (and some not so exotic) animals, and they don't need any more ammunition.

Personally, I'd use an import/export agent. I once used Reptile Express (https://www.reptileexpress.com/) to ship non-CITES animals to Canada, and it went well (the person on the Canadian end actually contracted with RE, but I had a good amount of communication with them too). It cost a bit over $300CAD without CITES documents for one small box, plus FedEx shipping from me to the exporter in NY state.

Emi248

Arachnoknight
Yeah I won't smuggle a thing, apart from me getting arrested, the species in the hobby gets deteriorated, Thanks to everyone.

USNGunner

Arachnosquire
This mornings answer.

Thank you for reaching out. USDA APHIS Veterinary Services does not have any import requirements regarding tarantulas. I would recommend your friend contact US Fish and Wildlife Service (https://www.fws.gov/le/businesses.html) to ensure they do not have any regulations with regard to import of this animal, as well as the State Department of Agriculture for MA (https://www.mass.gov/info-details/animal-imports-and-livestock-markets).

I hope this helps!

Holly M. Irish, DVM

Veterinary Medical Officer

USDA APHIS Veterinary Services