How can I tell if my A. avicularia sling is about to molt?

miggsperliter

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone,

I’ve had my pink toe sling for about a month and I believe it is currently about to molt. She (I don’t know the sex yet) is usually an active webber and is very good about letting me know when she wants to feed. When she wants to feed she will climb down down and start circling spider bark for prey. For the past 2 weeks she has not eaten, created a hammock-like web, and has not moved from that area of the terrarium. I’ve caught her lying on her back a couple of times but she just eventually moves out of that position. I’ve also noticed that her pink limbs are darkening and there is a black line that is visible.

This is my first tarantula and I just want to make sure my buddy is okay. Any tips or feedback is appreciated. I’ve also attached pictures of the color change.

Attachments

thatdadlife619

Arachnoknight
Absolutely definitely about to molt, just let it be. Avic’s are known to make web hammocks to safely molt in. Just wait this one out :)

thatdadlife619

Arachnoknight
Thanks! I was almost positive she is about to molt but my worrying mind got the best of me :rolleyes:
There’s always stress/doubts at the beginning of being in this hobby trust and believe, this site is a great place to get feedback whenever you need it :) With me, as my collection grew so did my confidence, and I realized that most of my stress was due to absolutely 1000% normal tarantula behavior

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
All of my avic slings had their legs turn dark or have a black line in them right before they molt.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
With Avicularia they can start to refuse food, many tarantulas get slower and lethargic, and Avicularia often have trouble climbing the glass. Make sure that they have fresh water at all times.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hello everyone,

I’ve had my pink toe sling for about a month and I believe it is currently about to molt. She (I don’t know the sex yet) is usually an active webber and is very good about letting me know when she wants to feed. When she wants to feed she will climb down down and start circling spider bark for prey. For the past 2 weeks she has not eaten, created a hammock-like web, and has not moved from that area of the terrarium. I’ve caught her lying on her back a couple of times but she just eventually moves out of that position. I’ve also noticed that her pink limbs are darkening and there is a black line that is visible.

This is my first tarantula and I just want to make sure my buddy is okay. Any tips or feedback is appreciated. I’ve also attached pictures of the color change.
He’s going to molt.

Best advice - DO NOTHING

miggsperliter

Arachnopeon
As expected, the little fella molted successfully! Thank you for the help. How long should I wait till feeding? One week? There is fresh water available in the terriruim. 068FB53E-C73E-49BB-8252-AF23EA7B1B64.jpeg