How can I make a tarantula friendly?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
With the risk of derailing this thread further...
Yes, there are 'cases' (i hate that word) where it manifests lightly or in a benign form, without risk for either patients or others. But i'll never forget the 18-year old crying her heart out on a table because she just couldn't save the world, and how the world would explode because she couldn't stop it. I was only two years older. She didn't eat, or drink because she wasn't worth it because she failed mankind.

Or a boy, five years older than me who tried to take out a collegue's eyes with a plastic knife because, according to him, she had the evil eye, and was there to kill him. He even sought our help because he was only defending himself.
The collegue lost sight on one eye, and severe vision loss on the other.
It can be funny, psychosis, but all too often, it is not.
Hell, those are indeed the extreme and often violent ones. Nah "ours" were the harmless (to others and to themselves) ones. Like "Il lombrico" (earthworm man) or the "orologiaio" (the "watchmaker") or one that was even Gianni Morandi (the singer) stalker (but in a lovely way, he even meet him) and so forth :)

Last edited:

tetracerus

Arachnosquire
OP, if you really really feel the need to pet a tarantula perhaps you could acquire a molt and touch that instead of stressing out the actual creature.

IsraelMS

Arachnopeon
People need to not only understand that, but they need to respect it as well. Respecting creatures who differ from us, and learning to appreciate them specifically because of those differences, is what is going to save these creatures in the end.
Please respect that.
+1

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
The "handler" of peanut, is an idiot.

Letting people "pet" a t is just ridiculous.

Your question is like asking, "how do I make my car love me back, I really want to snuggle with it, but it just seems cold and rigid. I know I can make this car love me back, I met a crazy person that said it was possible, what do I do."
The tarantula was from a museum, and allowed people to rub her abdomen for at least a few hours. And she wasn't sick or almost dead, because she reacted fine to stimuli that she wasn't okay with.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
The tarantula was from a museum, and allowed people to rub her abdomen for at least a few hours. And she wasn't sick or almost dead, because she reacted fine to stimuli that she wasn't okay with.
It just depends. Rosehairs tarantulas can make some of the best beginner species!... Until you search "demon G. rosea" into YouTube. Some are OBT level insane and defensive, while some are nearly comatose when it come to external stimuli. If Peanut were to ever want to dash or bite, for whatever reason, it could get hurt. Trust me, it is more for the safety of the animal than the handler. If a kid got bite, he could fling and splat that spider on the wall in a knee-jerk reaction. It is just better for the T that people limit handling to the minimum. They are very unpredictable and painful, so there is really no point. I wish they could be tamed like a dog or cat, but sadly it is just not realistic :( One of the downsides of these animals IMO.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
It just depends. Rosehairs tarantulas can make some of the best beginner species!... Until you search "demon G. rosea" into YouTube. Some are OBT level insane and defensive, while some are nearly comatose when it come to external stimuli. If Peanut were to ever want to dash or bite, for whatever reason, it could get hurt. Trust me, it is more for the safety of the animal than the handler. If a kid got bite, he could fling and splat that spider on the wall in a knee-jerk reaction. It is just better for the T that people limit handling to the minimum. They are very unpredictable and painful, so there is really no point. I wish they could be tamed like a dog or cat, but sadly it is just not realistic :( One of the downsides of these animals for sure.
to be fair, they were taking every precaution to ensure Peanut's safety. The handler had her hand on the table, and did not allow anyone else to hold her. Boy, I tell you what, her abdomen was SO SOFT. It was like the hairs on a newborn baby's head. Ironic considering they're indented to be irritating barbed bristles lol.

cold blood

Staff member
Classic example of the uneducated attempting to educate.

Tarantulas don't "get sick" and nobody said the t was almost dead. If that's where you learned about ts from, its time to start over. I mean no offense to you, I just don't think you get how inappropriate it is to pet a tarantula, regardless of its tolerance, and are just a victim of a poor mentor.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
to be fair, they were taking every precaution to ensure Peanut's safety. The handler had her hand on the table, and did not allow anyone else to hold her. Boy, I tell you what, her abdomen was SO SOFT. It was like the hairs on a newborn baby's head. Ironic considering they're indented to be irritating barbed bristles lol.
True. I love their feel, nothing really compares :D I just think that what can go wrong, will go wrong most of the time.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
True. I love their feel, nothing really compares :D I just think that what can go wring, will go wrong most of the time.
I dont think Peanut could've made much of a beline anyway. I forgot to mention that one of her legs had a bad foot. Should be healed upon the next molt.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
What if Peanut is the exception, like Bub the zombie from Romero's "Day of the Dead" ?

I'm so touched by Moakmeister Peanut's description that I've jumped into a dimension where logic, science and facts exists no more.

Uhm maybe Peanut is one of the babies of Rom the Vacuoos Spider and you need a lot of insight for see clearly :writer:

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOW I was stupid back then XD
To any new tarantula owners, do not listen to anything I said in this thread. Peanut the B. albopilosum is not tamed, she is just extraordinarily docile. I plan to purchase her from the museum one day.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Definitely not stupid, just uninformed. I used to think my tarantulas were tamed. I only had two rosehairs and two pink toes lmao. Yeah everyone should have a B albo.

Leila

Arachnobaron
@Moakmeister, you were not stupid. You are far too intelligent to have ever been considered "stupid." :embarrassed:

Somebody gave you poor information back then, and ya just didn't know any better than to believe them.

A stupid person would not have taken the time to educate himself like you did. :happy:

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
@Moakmeister, you were not stupid. You are far too intelligent to have ever been considered "stupid." :embarrassed:

Somebody gave you poor information back then, and ya just didn't know any better than to believe them.

A stupid person would not have taken the time to educate himself like you did. :happy:
Man, reading this thread I was like Ben is angry.jpg At least I didn't keep arguing with everybody and refuse to believe I was wrong. I wised up to the fact I'd been lied to pretty fast. Also face reveal FTW

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Also it's really cool to look at all these responses I was getting back then and now I'm like "I know you guys! These are all names I recognize!"