How can I know when an mm is ready

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So I have mm h Mac and female and am planning on breeding them soon. I have no idea if he made a sperm web. So that is my question. How do I know if he has made a sperm web. I wouldn't say he's pacing but he is more active. Instead of hiding all the time he is on the cage walls.

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The general rule is 2 weeks after the mature moult he's ready for action.
I tend to shark tank and feed up the female. Such close contact often encourages him to sperm web. I wouldn't be in a rush to introduce him and when you do it might be a good idea to introduce a cork tube for him to seek refuge. That will make it easier to remove him when he's done the deed

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The general rule is 2 weeks after the mature moult he's ready for action.
I tend to shark tank and feed up the female. Such close contact often encourages him to sperm web. I wouldn't be in a rush to introduce him and when you do it might be a good idea to introduce a cork tube for him to seek refuge. That will make it easier to remove him when he's done the deed
Thanks 2 weeks is what I was waiting for and thats tomorrow. The cork tube idea is great. It is impossible to get him into a deli cup. He just try's running back down the cage and when he can't he gets VERY angry. Iv read the breeding reports and and they seem to be a species that consistently produces viable egg sacs.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The best way to tell is to transfer your male into a new container free of webbing.After a sperm web is constructed you can usually spot the remains of it as looks like one long stand of silk kinda wrapped up.If your lucky you might even catch the male in the act of making one!
Sometimes mature males will make a web in 2-3 weeks time but I've also seen males take even longer to construct a web.Keeping the males tank close to the female can also speed up the process!
-Chris