How can I keep my avic avics enclosure warm?

Alejandro77567

Arachnopeon
Alright so I’ve been told that 60 degrees is too low so I’m trying to find a solution l. I thought of a heater underneath the tank but people said that heaters are bad and I don’t want to constantly heat up my room so what should I do?

cold blood

Staff member
Get a large tank, heat that with a pad on the side, and place your Avics enclosure within that heated enclosure.

Feral

Arachnobaron
Yes exactly, but wouldn't you still need a thermo/rheo stat and a thermometer in that setup, though? Or any other setup (cable, tape, etc.)? Without regulation and depending on what brand/size//wattage of heat pad you use, you could end up with wildly different results otherwise, perhaps even too extreme of a resulting temp, even excepting malfunction.

If adjusting the home's furnace/heat source isn't an option, is a space heater an option? Or moving the enclosure to a warmer location in the home?

Alejandro77567

Arachnopeon
Yes exactly, but wouldn't you still need a thermo/rheo stat and a thermometer in that setup, though? Or any other setup (cable, tape, etc.)? Without regulation and depending on what brand/size//wattage of heat pad you use, you could end up with wildly different results otherwise, perhaps even too extreme of a resulting temp, even excepting malfunction.

If adjusting the home's furnace/heat source isn't an option, is a space heater an option? Or moving the enclosure to a warmer location in the home?
Ok but what’s a good temperature for the enclosure?

chris0220

Arachnopeon
It’s not worth the risk imo. As previously stated in this thread, heating pads are hard to regulate. I’ll also add that it will probably cause more humid than necessary conditions in the enclosure if the sub is moist at all and you have a water dish.

I know we are talking about an avic so this might not apply, but many terrestrial tarantulas will burrow to get away from high temps, which in this case could lead the tarantula right to the source of the heat and could severely injure or kill it. Again, this is an arboreal species but you never know.

Do what cold blood said. Bigger enclosure with heat pad on the side + tarantula enclosure inside = your own little micro climate. Boom!

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Alright so I’ve been told that 60 degrees is too low so I’m trying to find a solution l. I thought of a heater underneath the tank but people said that heaters are bad and I don’t want to constantly heat up my room so what should I do?
I have a group of 5 GBB slings, and it's now winter. My wife likes to adjust the thermostat in the winter and it can get cold at night in our house.

My solution was to get a thermo-regulator from amazon and a small ceramic heater and a small, wooden, 3 shelf, glass fronted, cabinet. Tarantulas in the cabinet, thermometer from the thermo-regulator placed in the cabinet and small space heater placed into cabinet, then plugged into thermo-regulator. I put the heater on the bottom and the enclosures on the top shelf, and the thermometer on the middle shelf.

I tested my system in a small bathroom for a couple weeks. I set the regulator for 79 degrees F; the system maintained a high of 79.5 and a low of 77.5. I don't have the nice consistent airflow in the cabinet as I do in the open space of a bathroom. So the cabinet fluctuates between 82.5 and 77.5. I'm thinking of drilling holes in the wooden shelves and improving the airflow. But for now, works great.

Thermo-Regulator
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I15S6OM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ceramic Heater
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074MX8VN5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

TriMac33

Arachnoknight
My house is always in the low 60's during winter and I just use a small space heater aimed at where all my Ts are kept, 3 or so feet away and on low. I really only use it at night for a few hours and all of mine are healthy and happy. If cost is an issue for a space heater, I'd use the heat mat, enclosure inside of an enclosure method.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I know that it’s not recommended but what if I didn’t keep it on all the time and just keep it on to maintain the temperature?
Why are you NOT listening to good solid advice? Your question is like "I know cocaine isn't good for you, but what if I only snort cocaine on Sundays and Fridays"