how can i find a widow?

jeffchou

Arachnopeon
hello, everyone ,i hope to keep a black widow,is there anyone can tell me where i can find it?Have you ever found it around you?i am in los angeles now.thank you very much.

Offkillter

Arachnosquire
All you have to do is go climbing in a tight spot around your house ,in the attic or under your house to fix the plumbing. Make sure and get yourself totally wedged in a vulnerable position then look up.This always works for me.

super-pede

Arachnobaron
All you have to do is go climbing in a tight spot around your house ,in the attic or under your house to fix the plumbing. Make sure and get yourself totally wedged in a vulnerable position then look up.This always works for me.
true.very true.

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I bet if you walk around one of your local parks you will see plenty, they always seem to hang out around the park benches!

snappleWhiteTea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
this does not exclusively apply for widows, but look for through some hay or straw. i have found lots of widows under hay Bales (i think thats what they are called)

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
Make sure and get yourself totally wedged in a vulnerable position then look up.This always works for me.
:D hahaha, i liked this

look close to the ground, most hesperus will be down near the floor. slight overhangs near the ground are hesp magnets. just cruise around looking for the webs, then check back at nighttime to nab your spider.

webs are easy to find. they are very random and are much stronger than their steatoda counterparts :) unmistakable.

jeffchou

Arachnopeon
thank you ,

jeffchou

Arachnopeon
I bet if you walk around one of your local parks you will see plenty, they always seem to hang out around the park benches!
thank you,is this can be seen in los angeles?maybe i watch carelessly or not always go out.{D

jeffchou

Arachnopeon
:D hahaha, i liked this

look close to the ground, most hesperus will be down near the floor. slight overhangs near the ground are hesp magnets. just cruise around looking for the webs, then check back at nighttime to nab your spider.

webs are easy to find. they are very random and are much stronger than their steatoda counterparts :) unmistakable.
thank you,can i find that in some hills?On the north of my city are several hills,but i think it less trees,it that can be find?

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
i will find plenty in/around rock piles. watch out for snakes too :razz: they absolutely love the cracks/crevices that the rock piles provide. might find more in the rocks than in the trees.

Arakatac

Arachnopeon
hello, everyone ,i hope to keep a black widow,is there anyone can tell me where i can find it?Have you ever found it around you?i am in los angeles now.thank you very much.
Mr Chou, you are welcome to come to my Hollywood Community garden, which is OVERRUN with Black Widows ... I mean they are everywhere - take them all if you want to!

Just let me know and we'll arrange a BW hunt! (Just look under any rock) ...

Last edited:

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Step1: Fly to Southern California
Step2: Look down.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
moltar's pretty much got it

jeff, there should be widows all over if you live in los angeles. anytime you see messy webs with a bunch of crap hanging in it, it is probably a widow :)

jeffchou

Arachnopeon
moltar's pretty much got it

jeff, there should be widows all over if you live in los angeles. anytime you see messy webs with a bunch of crap hanging in it, it is probably a widow :)
thank you, and most spider i have seen is a long leg and thin body one,i think i should look carefully!

jeffchou

Arachnopeon
i will find plenty in/around rock piles. watch out for snakes too :razz: they absolutely love the cracks/crevices that the rock piles provide. might find more in the rocks than in the trees.
ok,thank you , i remembered,:D

Arakatac

Arachnopeon
...my Hollywood Community garden ... is OVERRUN with Black Widows ... I mean they are everywhere ...
Just in case you think I'm exaggerating, here's a shot I took last March - do you see all those little yellowish dots? Those are Black Widow spiderlings ... I should say, they WERE spiderlings - they're as big as cell phones by now ...

IMG_0803.jpg