How can i convince my parents to get a rose haired tarantula.

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
Tell them loud and proud you want to bring home the world's lamest most boring pet tarantula to date home and keep it as a pet. Make sure to bring up it barely moves and eats on occasions to help guarantee you can have one.

Just be honest with them about it is all you can really do.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
Tell them loud and proud you want to bring home the world's lamest most boring pet tarantula to date home and keep it as a pet. Make sure to bring up it barely moves and eats on occasions to help guarantee you can have one.
They are basically pet rocks that eat bugs sometimes. I tell people that they are like carnivorous plants but require less care and are slightly more active.

(although I don't consider G porteri/rosea to be lame or boring)

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Well, convincing your parents is something only you can do, because we don't know your parents. But I would use the statement: It can be kept on a low budget compared to most animals.

Not to be skeptical, but rose hairs are pet rocks and also one of the most mislabeled species at the moment. I wouldn't recommend one but that isn't to say they're bad first pet tarantulas or anything as many people have them. There are many species of beginner tarantulas out there more interesting than a rose hair aka. G. porteri. Make sure you know what species it is because "rose hairs" are quite a mislabeled mess in the hobby. Also, wish you the best.

Eddie2Dynamite

Arachnopeon
Depending on your age, I would suggest getting a job and saving up your money. If your not old enough for a job, ask for things to do around the house to help out but dont make it so blunt why you are being extra helpful. While doing that, do your research and provide them with information such as risk, proper care, ect. Outline how you plan to mitigate the risks and manage the care of the animal. Again, dont pester them about it while gathering your information. Prove you have taken the time to research it and that this is something you want and are willing to take care of for the long haul, not an impulse purchase cuz you saw a neat youtube video. I dont keep tarantulas, but I have done some reading on them and understand that some female species can live for up to 20+ years, so its a long term investment. Essentially write an essay on it. (I know it seems lame but I bet you its the thing your parents would expect the least increasing the impact of your actions.)

By doing these things and putting in the work ahead of time, it can help show you are dedicated to the idea and willing to put in the effort for care while not turning them off by constantly pestering them. It can also help calm unreasonable concerns based on knee-jerk uninformed reactions. 5 in 100 people are arachnophobes so there is a chance either of your parents fall into this category. Thus the education is important as well as your plan to manage the risk.

I am not approaching this from the point of view of a tarantula fan, but as a parent. I have 3 kids. If my 9 year old did this, I would most likely allow him to seek out whatever animal he wants mostly because he would have proven he is willing to put the work in and showed he is mature enough to handle the responsibility of keeping an animal that requires a bit more care and respect than most others in regards to how you handle it. Hope this is helpful.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
My first was a rosehair.
I got it for my birthday after I begged for months.
It worked for me...

but i was nine.😉

She was an angel.

Polenth

Arachnobaron
Your other post says you have another spider as a pet, so what exactly are the objections to a tarantula that don't apply to the other spider? Do they think tarantulas are unusually dangerous or something? You need to find out what the objections are before you can address them.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
I see you’re from Utah. Why just one, you should be able to at least have one male and two or more females. 🤦‍♂️ Okay, bad joke, in all seriousness, share the research you’ve done with your parents. Explain pros and cons and be transparent. Find out what their primary objections are and how you could mitigate those concerns.

Georges Simp Pierre

Arachnopeon
I would just add that you have to know what makes them tick. Do they want you to get good grades? Getting that done or whatever it is would be a good start. My parents let me go ham with the invert pets after I made it into the uni course I was striving for.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
bring them on the forum, show them around. Say "look all these people have them, and discuss how to better care for them, and if I'm ever in a pinch these people help"

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
A couple of thoughts:
1. Buy an electric guitar and amp and attempt to learn how to play it. But suck at it, and do it loudly. Turn the amp up to 11. Practice at 2:30 am.
Your parents will beg you to give up the guitar and take up the much quieter hobby of T keeping.

2. Threaten to run off and elope with a Russian woman you met online. She's getting out of the Pen. early for good behavior. They'll probably buy you your first T just to stay.

!

Seriously I agree with @Eddie2Dynamite , just prove your worth. Demonstrate that you can handle all the responsibility that comes with owning a Tarantula.

Last edited:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Nobody has a miracle solution for you. You know your parents and we don't. You know the history you have with them and whether they're tolerant to having large spiders in the house and we aren't.
There are countless other threads on this forum addressing this specific scenario, have you searched those and looked through the suggestions? Because, I have to tell you, if you haven't even made that much of an effort, then things aren't looking good.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
A couple of thoughts:
1. Buy an electric guitar and amp and attempt to learn how to play it. But suck at it, and do it loudly. Turn the amp up to 11. Practice at 2:30 am.
Your parents will beg you to give up the guitar and take up the much quieter hobby of T keeping.
Are we telling him to reenact Home Alone? Sounds oddly familiar.

Atraxrobustus86

Arachnopeon
This is the species my father had, and that I grew up with as a teenager. It is very popular. Like people have said it is a pet rock and will spend months sometimes fasting. I remember as a teenager ours would go 3 months sometimes without food (much longer when molting). As long as they have access to water they can survive a long time without food. It is probably the easiest member of the Grammastola family as far as husbandry goes (besides maybe the Grammastola pulchra). If your trying to convince you parents as a teenager that might be hard. If you are an adult however do what my dad did to convince my mom. Offer to build an escape proof room. If that is not an option if you are old enough to move out I recommend that route.

Iamconstantlyhappy

Arachnoknight
Sometimes its better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission. J/K. Research everything you can about the species you want, show them how interested you are in them and educate them. Get tarantula posters, put them up in your room. Become obsessed. Beg.

Atraxrobustus86

Arachnopeon
I am not sure that works, my dad went through h e double hockey sticks to convince my mom and that was only for a single Grammastola rosea. I imagine it will be harder than just obsessing or feigning ignorance. As a personal experience I just ended a 10 year relationship, because I wanted to keep Tarantulas more than children.

Last edited: