How Can I Build This?

butch4skin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What I want to do is build a thermostatically controlled shelf which will accomodate multiple enclosures(I'm keeping T's). I haven't actually planned out the logistics yet and would really appreciate some opinions. I imagined it as essentially a large book case like structure with a fair amount of depth to it and a swing out glass front for each seperate shelf or level. Has anyone ever built something like this? I am trying to figure out ways for it to be well insulated, yet easily broken down into smaller components, perhaps each shelf (i guess there would be four or five) could release on its own. Also, I really need opinions on how to heat this thing, i.e. heat coils, large heat mats (does zoo med or some similar company make heat mats that are like 3'x6'). I'd like to avoid space heaters as I feel like they are a fire hazard and I don't live alone, otherwise I would feel comfortable just being insured. I know you can purchase thermostats that will monitor a heat source and shut it off at the proper time. How reliable are these? Also a plus would be a heat gradient of about 5-10 degrees between the top and bottom of the structure, though that may end up being a natural consequence of the height. Anyway, anyone who has done this or anything remotely similar please share all info and plans concerning, and anyone who hasn't throw in your two cents anyway. Thanks.

Frazier_05

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think that's a great idea, after all you're only thinking of your T's well being. The idea is achieveable but it may be a bit tough. I would like to do something similar but procrastination has kept me from it lol. Sorry I don't have any advice concerning any of your questions, I just wanted to let ya know that it's a great idea and I would love to see pics of it when you complete it. Good luck!

Brett

butch4skin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
bet

I'll get em posted as soon as i figure out how to do it lol. I'm thinking that heat panels are the most convenient means to reach desired temps.

jamesc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'd say heat tape would be the best. You can hook them up to a thermostat.

rooster

Arachnopeon
heating mats

Here is a link to some heating mats, this place lists two sizes of mats on line but at the store thay auctually have a third lager mat, and there is a thermostat to exactly tweek the temp you want. They are bigger then the reptile mats, I think cheaper for the size and can be used under plastic if you want, I think the reptial mats dont reccomend you use their mats on plastic. I for get exactly how hot these get but I want to say 85 or 90. You could call the store and the guy could tell you.

http://www.htgsupply.com/viewproducts.asp?subID=49&catID=22

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
I've seen cases with sliding shelves and sliding shelf kits, can't remember where. I'll post when I do.

A cheap easy heat source that can cover a larger area is an electric blanket, all have some sort of rheostat or thermostat, though for an addition level of control you can plug it into ESU or other brand thermostat or rheostat that are used to control heat lamps/mats on herp enclosures. Another opyion is heat tape which is common and run it along the back of each shelf

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Basically what you are building is a rack system like they build for reptile tubs. Do a search for reptile rack systems and you should get some ideas. The only thing I am wondering about is if you are going to run into ventilation issues with an enclosed front. You can probably use flexwatt to heat it, and then decide whether you want to use one thermostat for the whole set-up or individual ones for each shelf.