How big do G.pulchripes really get?

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
So how big do G.pulchripes actually get? I have seen a butt load and one care sheets about the size of G.pulchripes hitting "up to" 8 inches

Does anyone actually own one this size? Or is this like a LP where "there are known instances" of being nearly the size of a T. stirmi/blondi

I searched on the forum for this and I couldn't find anything even under the former name.

If you got yourself a big one. Pics please.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
From what I've seen, pulchripes is a 7"+ spider. I wouldn't count on 8" although it could happen.

"Or is this like a LP where "there are known instances" of being nearly the size of a T. stirmi/blondi." That's marketing hype, where's the proof? They've been in the hobby for decades and there should be hundreds of 9-10" giants all over the country. I had an LP female that never went over 7". LP's close to Theraphosa size?...I haven't seen pics of one next to a ruler that are anywhere close to that. Urban myth. Does sell a lot of LP slings to beginners though, and considering how huge the sacs are, sellers do whatever they can to move them.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I guess being deceived about what 7" really looks like doesn't just happen to women.

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So how big do G.pulchripes actually get? I have seen a butt load and one care sheets about the size of G.pulchripes hitting "up to" 8 inches

Does anyone actually own one this size? Or is this like a LP where "there are known instances" of being nearly the size of a T. stirmi/blondi

I searched on the forum for this and I couldn't find anything even under the former name.

I can't post photo of my 24" inch big one. I might put others to shame.

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
From what I've seen, pulchripes is a 7"+ spider. I wouldn't count on 8" although it could happen.

"Or is this like a LP where "there are known instances" of being nearly the size of a T. stirmi/blondi." That's marketing hype, where's the proof? They've been in the hobby for decades and there should be hundreds of 9-10" giants all over the country. I had an LP female that never went over 7". LP's close to Theraphosa size?...I haven't seen pics of one next to a ruler that are anywhere close to that. Urban myth. Does sell a lot of LP slings to beginners though, and considering how huge the sacs are, sellers do whatever they can to move them.
Ask newspidermom she stating she has an LP of 9" inches http://arachnoboards.com/threads/got-a-paying-gig-to-talk-about-ts.231319/ you should ask her to post a photo with a ruler next to the female Lp.

beaker41

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've got 3 mature female chacos, one I got from a friend who had her 12 years, and none of them is over 5 1/2". My big momma lp however is pushing 7" , this scale is 6 1/2"wide.

My a. Genticulata's deserve the monster growth award though, they've surpassed my LP in size and done it in a fraction of the time!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Ask newspidermom she stating she has an LP of 9" inches http://arachnoboards.com/threads/got-a-paying-gig-to-talk-about-ts.231319/ you should ask her to post a photo with a ruler next to the female Lp.

In some species a few individuals will exceed the average. I saw hundreds of w/c adult female B smithi back in the 1970's (even unpacked 100 in one day for a dealer friend of mine who imported them; I was itching for days), and 6" was the norm. I saw one that was 7" in all that time. The way things are done today, pricelists would list B smithi as a 7" species, and a few dealers would probably have 8". From what I've seen LP's are a 7-8" spider, and once in a while may exceed that. But there are tarantulas in at least 10 genera that hit 7-8", so that's not rare in the tarantula world. Plus many people can't seem to accurately measure their spiders, so without some sort of proof, their claims of size are often suspect.

Sana

Arachnoprince
I have a MF and MM G. pulchripes. She comes in at 6" (maybe a smidge more if she stretched out) and he comes in just under 6" though she looks like a mammoth next to him since she's fat and he's a leggy spindly MM.

crlovel

Arachnopeon
There are only one or two full-grown G. pulchripes in the wild at any given time - no environment can support them. And forget trying to keep one at home. The last time one was seen was decades ago. Here's a photo from the sighting:

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
There are only one or two full-grown G. pulchripes in the wild at any given time - no environment can support them. And forget trying to keep one at home. The last time one was seen was decades ago. Here's a photo from the sighting:

Every "pet" G. Pulchripes is just a sling, they take over 2000 years to mature.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor

A classic movie, I recently bought it on DVD. It goes without saying that mad scientists, radiation, and lab animals are a bad mix, at least it was in the 1950's & 60's.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

I agree with Poec on size. I've seen two very large ones compared to my runt AF Chaco. Both solid, good mass, but def. not 8", 7". If you want a Grammo that gets past 7" def. get a G. iheringi. If you don't own one. They are unlike most any other Grammo I've seen in build and disposition. I love mine.

Envoirment

Arachnosquire
I agree with Poec on size. I've seen two very large ones compared to my runt AF Chaco. Both solid, good mass, but def. not 8", 7". If you want a Grammo that gets past 7" def. get a G. iheringi. If you don't own one. They are unlike most any other Grammo I've seen in build and disposition. I love mine.
They're very similar to Grammostola actaeon. Really want one in the near future!

In regards to the thread topic - I'll get back to you in 5-10 years when mine is fully grown. It's a tiny baby sling and has yet to molt in the 12 weeks I've had it! I believe I have a slow one (I don't starve it either, is always big and plump!). :)

cold blood

Staff member
A classic movie, I recently bought it on DVD. It goes without saying that mad scientists, radiation, and lab animals are a bad mix, at least it was in the 1950's & 60's.
What's the name of the movie? I saw it as a kid and could never remember the name.

crlovel

Arachnopeon
You people, you have it all wrong. These were news reels, reports, live photos, all made into a movie, "fictionalized," so as not to panic the public. That's a real adult pulchripes, and it will eat an entire city.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Also recommended: The Giant spider Invasion.

I'm showing a bit of mercy and including the movie trimmed down to twelve minytes. If you want to see the full story, take my advice, watch the funny "Mystery Science 3000" version instead. It's the whole movie, but made watchable by the hosts of the show riffing on it. If you are familiar with the show, you know what to expect. If not you may be in for a treat. :D I'll include it too because I'm just that keen.

12 minute version

Mystery Science 3000 clobbers the whole movie:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Those movies were nothing special (talking as a B, and even C, lol, former movie reviewer) and they helped, in some ancestral way, the P-Dumb (and such) rapture for their exotic "Tarachula" madness :)