How are Tarantuals measured?

jeryst

Arachnopeon
I often get confused about stated sizes of T's, so I was wondering how they are measured.

For example, if I see a T that is described as 2", what exactly does that mean? Is that front leg tip to back leg tip in a normal standing position, or is that the length of the body, or something else entirely?

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Actually scientist usually measure body length. So basically from mouth parts to the spinnerets .

The first an last link you provided to me, was wrong. I would say 98% of hobbyist measure diagonal leg span.

this is also a much debated topic, as some people measure when stretched out..curled up. Diagonal leg span measurments give you a basic idea of how big a spider is. All though to scientists since there is to much room for error, they measure the body length.

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Actually scientist usually measure body length. So basically from mouth parts to the spinnerets .

The first an last link you provided to me, was wrong. I would say 98% of hobbyist measure diagonal leg span.

this is also a much debated topic, as some people measure when stretched out..curled up. Diagonal leg span measurments give you a basic idea of how big a spider is. All though to scientists since there is to much room for error, they measure the body length.
Thanks for that. I do not measure my T's I just used to the search function and google to bring up these links. :D