How are hybrids viewed in the pede world?

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ok so I am thinking of buying a pede. But its a hybrid. I will not be breeding it...nor will it ever be sold. I am 100% against tarantula hybrids. So I was wondering what the general idea about them over here is.

just so you know, I havent got a clue how to sex, or even breed pedes, and this would only be my 2nd one.(well besides and escapee a few years back) which I wont be letting happen again.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's been brought up before. People have tried it for science and curiosity as far as I know but there is some interest out there to have one. I think right now there is not much worry since there only seems to be practically a few people that even think of breeding pedes.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
I think the problem with tarantula hybrids is they can get mixed into the general population. As Galopoheros states it's not a real issue with centipedes since 99.9% of production comes from wild-caught females.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks for the replies. Now to figure a way to get it.:D

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
What hybrid are you getting? If it's an S. heros variant, chances are it isn't a true hybrid anyway. They're just color morphs of the same species.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Scolopendra heros castaneiceps X Scolopendra heros heros Hybrid

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
What hybrid are you getting? If it's an S. heros variant, chances are it isn't a true hybrid anyway. They're just color morphs of the same species.
I'm interested in learning where you discovered the definition of the term "true hybrid". Subspecies, race and variety crosses are still hybrids by any standard definition. Beyond that taxonomy may be imperfect; the different forms of Brachypelma aren't usually considered color varieties because they interbreed in captivity.

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I'm interested in learning where you discovered the definition of the term "true hybrid". Subspecies, race and variety crosses are still hybrids by any standard definition. Beyond that taxonomy may be imperfect; the different forms of Brachypelma aren't usually considered color varieties because they interbreed in captivity.
Excuse my ignorance, but I was under the impression a hybrid was formed between two separate species, not by two members of the same species. If a hybrid is formed by two members of the same species, then wouldn't snake morphs be considered hybrids? That sounds odd to me.

It could also be considered an intergrade, since the two variants' ranges overlap in the wild; making a captive breeding between the two not all that strange.

I admit I don't know much on the subject and haven't done much research, this is just what I've always come to understand.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Snake morphs aren't races any more than a white or black dog that could be siblings. The S. heros subspecies/varieties are geographic races that don't intergrade in nature. You can find banded and unbanded as is common with many centipedes but no intergrades between arizonensis/castaneiceps/heros.

krabbelspinne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Anyway that is not right. According to the actual taxonomic view, Scolopendra heros is one species with I think four colour variations. As these are no species or subspecies, there are no hybrids.

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Anyway that is not right. According to the actual taxonomic view, Scolopendra heros is one species with I think four colour variations. As these are no species or subspecies, there are no hybrids.
This is what I've read and understood to be true about S. heros and where my point was coming from.

krabbelspinne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
have a look at the old attems from 1930, but also in the actual papers of shelley - they have all the same opinion. Scolopendra heros is one species with some colour variations....

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
This is what I've read and understood to be true about S. heros and where my point was coming from.
Please look up definitions for the word hybrid.

---------- Post added at 11:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 AM ----------

Again, please look up the term hybrid.

krabbelspinne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
In the biological terminology, hybrid is the offspring of two different species or subspecies.

But heros is one species withou any subspecies, so there are no hybrids.

Sorry, but you are totally wrong in this case!

---------- Post added at 10:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 AM ----------

Here you can find the biological definition:

http://www.biology-online.org/dictionary/Hybrid

In the ICZN code, "hybrid" is not explained but used in exactly the way as you can read in the link above!

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
In the biological terminology, hybrid is the offspring of two different species or subspecies.
Hybrids include race and variety crosses. Although you tried to choose one of the only definitions anywhere not to include that information you didn't pay attention. Look at the definition link you provided where it says pertaining to crossbreeding then click on it. It says it includes breeds and varieties. If you can choose to ignore part of the meaning of an English word that doesn't lend itself to your opinion then your arguement could never be wrong.

Last edited:

Androctonus_bic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm with Krabbelspinne because we are speaking in biological terms and no in a general definition (like put in wikipedia). But I have a puntualization.

Hybrids: Acrross bettwen spp inside of the same genus. (spp=species)
Integrated: Across bettwen ssp. (subspecies)
Nothogenus: Across bettwen spp inside of diferent genus (very uncomon in animals)

Cheers
Carles

krabbelspinne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
@ Elytra and Antenna:

This is your opinion and it is ok. But the way, the ICZN deals with "hybrids" is as I explained...