how aggressive are cobalts??

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
from the sound of it they are evil pissed off T's...are they really that bad? will they attack you at every opportunity or something?

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
They are more defensive than aggressive. They are not afraid to attack at slight disturbances or intrusions to their territory/burrows but if they are deep in their burrow on one side of the cage and you're filling up the water dish at the other end chances are you won't even see it. Just respect the spider's space and you shouldn't have too many problems. Obviously not a good hand pet though. And some individual spiders will be more aggressive/defensive than others while some I'm sure can be rather mellow.

Mark

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
Haha ya cobalts can be pretty vicious. Mine hasnt dug a burrow yet so she is very protective of her tank. I went to change the water dish the other day and she came charging over and lunged at the tweezers and even after I moved them she would keep striking at the air a couple more times just to make sure I didnt come back. Then a couple days ago she had a fall accident which really upset me. She is fine now but after it happened she stiffened right up when i put her back in the tank and nothing bothered her. But the next morning i went in and nudged the side of her web and she came charging back over and striked repeatedly it even made my mom jump who was standing behind me. (She has never seen any of my Tarantulas before except for my Rose) so this one kinda caught her off guard. But anyways Cobalts are pretty crazy none of my other aggressives (Defensive) act like her she is just crazy. She stays in her threat posture for about 10 mins usually and sometimes longer. She also never really seems to mind crickits she lets them walk around all over her web but sometimes she gets angry and chases them too but doesnt attack them unless shes hungry. Nice spider and very cool and interesting. Its a definate must have.

peace

TheDon

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
Well the waterdish I have in with my cobalt is a clay pot dish that is about 1/2" high. I just grab the edge with the tweezers and it comes out fine. I used to use petstore dishes but they are way to expensive and I actually like these more, they are about $1.00 at walmart. You can even get plastic ones for like $0.44 that work fine.

peace

TheDon

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I can't remember, I haven't seen it for 3 months.
Seems like it use to be pretty aggressive.
I'm not sure I'd get another one.

Ern

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm with you Ern I don't see mine, but I remember it was way more defensive than aggressive.

Andy

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Plain and simple, they don't like to be messed with and will strongly defend their territory.

But no doubt a beautiful T to look at.

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
"They are more defensive than aggressive."

is there a difference between a defensive T and an aggressive one? :?

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by xBurntBytheSunx
is there a difference between a defensive T and an aggressive one? :?
The way I see it, aggressive means that the T is malicious and will look to attack anyone or anything even when unprovoked. On the other hand, defensive Ts will try and defend their lives and/or their homes when they see the cause to do so, i.e. messing with an H. lividum's burrow.

Originally posted by lam
You guys need to learn how to use chopsticks.
=D

Bry

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
mine definately fits the definition of defensive. so long as you leave the area around the burrow opening alone you'll never see her. get into that space and shes out and ready to kick ass ninja style. like Ernie said, ive gone up to 3- 4 months without ever even seeing her. seems all my favorite t's are reclusive and hard to get a look at.:mad:

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
none...

There isn't a malicious T species. The definition of aggression is to attack without provocation. Ts do not do this they only react to what they interpet as a threat. If a T were truly aggressive it would launch out of the container and come at you simply for the sake of attacking which is something they don't do. There is a difference between aggression and defensive behavior and all too often Ts and other animals get labeled as aggressive when they are not. Even the worst tempered species like cobalts and usambara only stand their ground they don't actively seek a fight. Once you understand this aspect of their behavior it becomes much easier to manipulate them when moving them from one home to another.

Phil

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
"The definition of aggression is to attack without provocation. Ts do not do this they only react to what they interpet as a threat."

it really sounds like you are splitting hairs here....here i've been all confused b/c people are being tarantula pc haha. anyways any kind of force is aggression.

oh well....cobalts sound like a bad choice for a pet, for me at least, they are great looking but a t with that kind of attitude and one that you don't see for months on end doesn't sound any fun at all.

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
not trying to split hairs at all...

I am only attempting to point out that their behavior is based on reaction to a percieved threat and not blatant aggression. The reason I do this is to explain that they are not nearly as bad as their reputation would have one believe. That being said no they aren't a great choice for everyone but more folks can deal with them than what give themselves credit for. Too many species are labeled as being more than a relative newcomer can deal with when in fact this is not the case at all. The myths behind how evil some Ts are far outweigh the actual level of aggressive behavior shown. Bottom line is that folks tend to fear what they don't understand and in turn the fast / defensive species get an evil monster tag slapped on them which is undeserved.

Phil

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
Here is a pic of what my cobalt does best =)

hope this pic works

peace

TheDon