Houston Zoo Pictures

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I happened to be in Houston this week so I made sure to check out the Houston Zoo while I was there. Here are a few pictures from the reptile house. First off is a Canebrake rattlesnake.

Attachments

Last edited:

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
A Gaboon Viper. I couldn't get a very good picture through the glass. This is the only picture that turned out halfway decent.

Attachments

Last edited:

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
LOL@ the ape...he's still as a ......rock!
I love that gator, never seen one of those :)

blackacidevil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by GQ.
I happened to be in Houston this week so I made sure to check out the Houston Zoo while I was there.
You didn't happen to go by a place called Moody Gardens. Have you ever even heard of it....it's more in the Galveston area. We wanted to hit that place for Spring Break (with the kids). Anybody from the Houston area on these boards want to chime in?

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Immortal,

Isn't that just the most disturbing cast you've ever seen? It looks like it belongs in a circus freak tent.

Blackacid,

I have never heard of it. I was only able to make it to the Houston Zoo and to the Museum of Science. I didn't have a chance to go anywhere else. Houston as a whole wasn't bad though. I wouldn't mind visiting again.

No problem Crotalus. It is on the way. I had a really tough time getting good pictures there. I'm glad you like that Aruba one.

Later,
Gilbert

Joanie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Awesome pictures, GQ!! That picture of the Canebrake is especially nice.

Hope you don't mind my adding to your thread--here's a pic of a Gaboon viper from Milwaukee County Zoo. I love these snakes, I think they look like they're made of velvet.

Attachments

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Oooooooh! Purty snake! Thanks for posting that picture and thank you for the comment. I took several of that Gaboon, but I could not get the focus/lighting quite right for some reason. They are definitely on my top ten list of snakes. How far from Chicago is the Milwaukee Zoo? I would love to check it out. Do they have a good sized reptile collection? I'm in Chicago for a few days every one or two months. I usually stay in Mundelein or Bannockburn which is right off of the freeway from Chicago to Wisconsin. I think I usually take the Old Half Day rd exit. I believe it is fairly close to the Wisconsin border. Have a good one!

Gilbert

cotton

Arachnopeon
moody gardens is a sweet little set-up, I havent been in a few years but I do remember the HUGE arowanas they had. Also was quite impressed with their array of tropical plants, birds, and butterflies. Have they upgraded in the past few years or so?, I had heard that they were planning to do so.

Ravnos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Aruba Island rattlers are awesome... Waco's Cameron Park Zoo has a beautiful pair.

Rav

hermitman64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Awesome snakes, I love those Aruba Rattlers. I live right next to Waco, and have been to the Cameron Park Zoo several times- they do have nice Rattlers, in fact, their herpetarium as a whole is defenitely one of the best I've seen.

Good job with the pictures, they look great.

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Nice picture Ravnos! What a beautiful snake. Just about every zoo I have been to so far has a few Arubas. It is good to see a species survival plan that seems to be working. At least in captivity!