Housing truly small spiders (Eresus)

gabrielgartner

Arachnosquire
What do you all use to house truly small spiders and slings. I purchased 2 Eresus walkenaeri that were described as less than 1/4 inch. Well, they’re about three times that small, about 1/32...absolutely microscopic. A sesame seed is larger! I placed them in 20 dram vials (smallest I had) and they just disappeared. These things are so small I’m concerned the vent holes I made with a pushpin are too large.

So, how do you house your tiniest spiders?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A pushpin can be too large, hard to say w/out seeing. Honestly, I make the tiniest holes possible. There is "mesh" out there used in labs that would allow air to transfer but keep them in as well. I have not bothered to use it however.

Venom100

Arachnosquire
What do you all use to house truly small spiders and slings. I purchased 2 Eresus walkenaeri that were described as less than 1/4 inch. Well, they’re about three times that small, about 1/32...absolutely microscopic. A sesame seed is larger! I placed them in 20 dram vials (smallest I had) and they just disappeared. These things are so small I’m concerned the vent holes I made with a pushpin are too large.

So, how do you house your tiniest spiders?
I have a A few Eresus Walckenaeri slings as well.
I house them in a Small Vial, with a piece of cork. I made very small air holes in the lid with sewing needle. They disappeared as well but eating fruit flies.
Also even being that small they will start webbing small little pockets for them to hide in.

gabrielgartner

Arachnosquire
OK thanks. Mine are on a small amount of dry coco fiber with a tuft of moss on top. I found them both munching on a pinhead the other day... God they're small!

basin79

ArachnoGod
OK thanks. Mine are on a small amount of dry coco fiber with a tuft of moss on top. I found them both munching on a pinhead the other day... God they're small!
Being they lay down a lot of webbing the size of their enclosure isn't critical but it's much easier if they're house in small tubs whilst they're small. Condiment tubs or similar. It just means they'll find prey quicker.

Reads like you're on the ball anyway.