Housing tarantulas in a cold room

Sinkeye

Arachnopeon
So as the title says my room regularly drops in temperature, lows of 17°c. I am unable to keep the room at a constant temperature and cannot heat the room constantly (even with a space heater) due to cost.

I was thinking about getting some sort of cupboard/shelving and using reptile heat cable with a thermostat not on the actual enclosures but around them to keep the ambient temperature near the enclosures higher than the room. Does anyone know of this would work or can suggest any other way of keeping multiple tarantulas ie. a display cabinet of some sort to keep them all

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Millions of threads on this topic with different ideas if you wanna search. But I’d just get a space heater.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
So as the title says my room regularly drops in temperature, lows of 17°c. I am unable to keep the room at a constant temperature and cannot heat the room constantly (even with a space heater) due to cost.

I was thinking about getting some sort of cupboard/shelving and using reptile heat cable with a thermostat not on the actual enclosures but around them to keep the ambient temperature near the enclosures higher than the room. Does anyone know of this would work or can suggest any other way of keeping multiple tarantulas ie. a display cabinet of some sort to keep them all
Most adults and sub adults would probably be okay. But yes, if you configured it properly you could set that up and keep the temp of the enclosures a few degrees warmer than the rest of the room.

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
In the winter my room hits 13/14c and I've personally not hit problems even with slings.. Just less active and slower growth rate

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What the temp drops to is important, MORE important to guide you>> What is the temp RANGE on average during cold times???

YungRasputin

Arachnobaron
space heater wouldn’t consume as much energy as you may think - i have one for my arachnid room and haven’t noticed any dramatic uptick in electric consumption during this time

YungRasputin

Arachnobaron
space heater wouldn’t consume as much energy as you may think - i have one for my arachnid room and haven’t noticed any dramatic uptick in electric consumption during this time

YungRasputin

Arachnobaron

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I was thinking about getting some sort of cupboard/shelving and using reptile heat cable with a thermostat not on the actual enclosures but around them to keep the ambient temperature near the enclosures higher than the room. Does anyone know of this would work
Yes, this would work.