Housing suggestions for smithi

Yulian

Arachnopeon
Ok so hey all! Im new to this forum (posted my intro in the intro section if you want to read :p ) So I will be ordering my "first" T soon which will be a 3in female B. Smithi and I've been thinking about housing options. So far im thinking of housing it in either a medium sized kritter keeper or one of those food container tubs of similar size. So my question is which would you guys prefer? Apart from ventilation already being provided in the KK and the aesthetic value is there any other advantage of one over the other? Has anyone noticed more activity or faster growth rates with tubs or anything of the sort? Also I am planing on a future A.avic of the same size aproximately so same question, tub or kk? As arboreals tend to web around the top of the cage i wouldnt like to destroy their net every time I open the cage. Thanks in advance!

cold blood

Staff member
Both work fine.

A KK has better viewing, but is actually over-ventilated...not really much of an issue with smithi though.

I have had a couple ts that while housed in KKs, would chew and bite on the top ventilation, resulting is snapped off fangs. Its a real pain feeding a t with no fangs (moving them to sterilite eliminated the problem). Now over the years I have housed a bunch of ts in these KKs, and only twice was it ever an issue...but its something to consider.

Tubs, like sterilite, can be ventilated easily and in any manner you see fit....it takes all of 2 min with a drill. I prefer sterilite, but I do understand peoples desire for a clearer enclosure...the KK is just that, a better place for viewing, but not necessarily a better place for the t. The choice is basically just individual preference.

As for a future avic, KKs just aren't appropriate for avics IMO. A tub that offers sufficient height is a good place for them....other options are acrylic enclosures, they're great, but cost more than 10 times what sterilite does, so that decision is up to you and how much you want to spend. Exo terras also work, but like acrylic, theyre significantly more expensive.

If you can get a small tank, that's also an option, although you would need to get a piece of plexi or acrylic cut and drilled to use as a top, as the screen tops typically sold with them are bad news for ts. Cost here is a lot less than an exoterra or an acrylic, but still more expensive than sterilite by a bunch. The tank would need to be leaned so its taller and the venting only on the one side leaves something to be desired when housing an Avic...I don't personally like them for avics, but people do use them successfully.

I prefer sterilite tubs for all my ts, I would personally use most of the $ I invest in the hobby on actual ts, and not housing....If I used expensive housing I could only afford to own a small fraction of the ts that I currently have....JMO.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Has anyone noticed more activity or faster growth rates with tubs or anything of the sort?
The idea that container size has anything to do with growth rates is nothing but crap. The same is true for activity.

Re activity, what matters most is temperature AND how the home is setup for them. Designed well, you observe natural behaviors generally, designed poorly and you observe a scared/nervous T not likely to eat.

A KK works fine for smithi, I've used them for all my Brachy's and I use larger versions for my adult females in some cases. I like being able to see my critters clearly, that's the only reason I use KK.

A great option are Really Useful Boxes, I love them and so does my partner in crime @EulersK ;)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If only there was an easy way to make them, so-

OH YEAH
You mean the cutting of the plastic lid is not easy? I haven't gotten to doing it yet. Was thinking of doing it for my balfouri after they molt.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
You mean the cutting of the plastic lid is not easy? I haven't gotten to doing it yet. Was thinking of doing it for my balfouri after they molt.
No, it's pretty easy. I recently found out that using a diamond cutting wheel is easily twice as fast versus using the fiberglass cutoff wheel. Forewarning, though: don't use the diamond wheel for the acrylic. It cracks the edges pretty badly.

Yulian

Arachnopeon
IMG_2612.JPG
I have had a couple ts that while housed in KKs, would chew and bite on the top ventilation, resulting is snapped off fangs. Its a real pain feeding a t with no fangs (moving them to sterilite eliminated the problem). Now over the years I have housed a bunch of ts in these KKs, and only twice was it ever an issue...but its something to consider.
Thanks for the info everyone! And wow lol I'd never heard of that. I guess its pretty rare but still.
Anyways I have decided to just go with tubs for all future tarantulas to avoid any risks and save up for any future projects ;) also can some1 recommend enclosure size for an adult smithi? Lots of contradicting info out there and Id just like to hear from some1 with experience. I already have a 5gallon aquarium I used for my leopard gecko when she was younger, but I get the feeling it would be cramped for an adult smithi. It has a wire lid and the holes are quite bigger than so idk if it would cause the same probs as regular screen tops(legs getting stuck). I'll upload a picture so you guys can see. Thanks!

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
also can some1 recommend enclosure size for an adult smithi? Lots of contradicting info out there and Id just like to hear from some1 with experience.
I don't have a smithi, but as a general rule of thumb (for terrestrials), they need about 3x their diagonal legspan (DLS) in any horizontal direction and no more than 1.5-2x DLS in vertical space (space between the top of the substrate and the lid).

Extra horizontal space does not hurt (as long as you provide the proper cage furnishings), but extra vertical space can result in a lethal fall when your tarantula decides to climb the walls.

Yulian

Arachnopeon
Well I have the enclosure all done, im just waiting for the little bugger to arrive! Here are a few pics, any suggestions you guys have would be great :D IMG_2819.JPG IMG_2820.JPG IMG_2821.JPG Also this little bugger I saw the other day(Puerto rican dwarf T) IMG_2798.JPG

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Well I have the enclosure all done, im just waiting for the little bugger to arrive! Here are a few pics, any suggestions you guys have would be great
How big is your smithi going to be? I'd add some substrate (especially at the bottom of the hill, where it's shallow) to reduce the risk of a fatal fall. (As mentioned earlier, vertical space between the top of the substrate and the lid should be no more than about 1.5x DLS.)

Yulian

Arachnopeon
My smithi will be arriving at a 3inch legspan and from substrate to lid is 4inches so I thought that would be good as im trying to keep a reasonable space from substrate to lid in case she decides to bolt if something spooks her. But I'll add more substrate if need be, thanks!

cold blood

Staff member
Add more a little more substrate and bury that hide most of the way....they like tight spaces. Bury it so there is just enough room for the t to slide in, let it excavate from there as it grows.

cold blood

Staff member
Looks good...I would give it a much larger water dish...small dishes can be a pain.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
What's a Puerto Rican Dwarf T?? I googled it but it came up with nothing useful. Do you know its scientific name? (Because of this, common names are pretty much useless, scientific names are the same everywhere)

Yulian

Arachnopeon
What's a Puerto Rican Dwarf T?? I googled it but it came up with nothing useful. Do you know its scientific name? (Because of this, common names are pretty much useless, scientific names are the same everywhere)
Cyrtopholis Portoricae its the most common tarantula here on the island (the only one I've ever seen tbh) another name for it is just the Common Puerto rican brown T or araña pelua("hairy spider" as many people here call Ts) I have kept them in the past and they are relatively calm but they tend to hide alot and arent really that impressive(about 4in when matured) so I just let that sling be free.