Housing Question for New T Owner

Mike G.

Arachnopeon
I'm in the process of purchasing an aquarium before I buy my first T (Gramastola Pulcher), but I'm not sure how big to go.
I'm aware from the various websites that a 12" x 12" x 12" glass aquarium is more than adequate, but I wanted to give my T more space.
I'm also aware that for terrestrials, height is a concern if they fall.
I wanted to purchase a custom made 24"(L) x 18"(W) x 12"(H) enclosure (will use 3" of substrate). I know this is excessive, but is this too big??
I've heard that a cage that's too big puts extra stress on T's because they don't feel secure. I've also heard that they have a hard time finding their prey in a large cage.
I find both of these concerns hard to believe since T's do fine in the wild. Are there any valid concerns with a large cage that I should be aware of (other than cost of the aquarium)???

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also, are there any breeders/dealers near Cleveland, Ohio??

Thanks,
Mike

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Mike,
Welcome.:D Its true that a T has a harder time finding its prey in a large enclosure. If this is your first T, you'll be getting more. That is, if you get hooked like most of us do. So I think you should get a tank that best fits the size of the spider.
T's in the wild live in small dens at the bottom of their burrows, and don't ever stray more the 12" or so from the burrow. And then they put down a thread of silk so they can find the way back again.

IMO, tank size should grow with your Tarantula.;) Good luck..

Ernie

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
You're gonna get hooked!

Mike-

Welcome to the world of T's. It's good that you ask questions before you buy. Keep it simple because your T does not need all that space - you want it, not the spider. Plus, you can save money to buy more T's :D ! Do more reading before you buy. I suggest checking out Amazon.com for books to buy - you can by used books for cheap. Also Goldenphoenix.com, Arachnocenter.com, Swiftsinvertebrates.com, and e-spiderworld.com are a few places to buy online. Good luck and welcome!

Peace

Lostkat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Totally agree with MrT.

By the way, will it be a fully grown T when you get it?? Because spiderlings and juvenilles need only a tiny fraction of room that adults need.

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
By the way, will it be a fully grown T when you get it?? Because spiderlings and juvenilles need only a tiny fraction of room that adults need.
This is true.. And if you get your T as a juv or a sling, you can have fun with it..... Let it get to 'know' you... If you buy an adult, you dont know were its been( A hole in the ground, in a pocket etc...) Have fun with your T when you get it... O! Welcome :}

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Mike - here's an idea, but I encourage anyone else's input. Perhaps if your comfortable with a cage that size, and it's custom - you could get some sort of divider(s) that would split the cage as you get more T's (plexiglass or the like). Experts?

This way, you can still display them all, and let your collection grow to the enclosure rather than dealing with additional tanks etc.

This is - of course, assuming you get hooked. It becomes consuming after a while.....

Mike G.

Arachnopeon
Thanks

All,
Thanks for your input and warm welcome.
I will take your advice and buy a smaller aquarium.
Everyone is correct, I'll probably be getting more. The plan is:
Grammostola pulchra - this spring
Avicularia versicolor - late this summer
Citharischius crawshayi, Haplopelma lividum and Lasiodora parahybana next year

Lostkat - I'm looking for a female subadult. I saw some 4" ones for sale at John Hoke's e-spiderworld, but I haven't had a chance to call yet to verify if they're still in stock. He's had them posted for a while.

D-Man - Great advice, but I'm one step ahead of you. I don't think I can do much more reading. I've already read Shultz' "Tarantula Keepers Guide" and have spent countless hours on the internet over the last 3 months.

Again, THANKS!!!
Mike G.