Housing new T in old T's enclosure

WhitenerJ

Arachnosquire
So say I have a T that I rehouse into a new enclosure and I have another T that I want to move into the old T's old enclosure. How much cleanup would I need to do in order for the T to feel comfortable in that enclosure? I guess I'm trying to ask if another T would be ofended by being put into another T's enclosure? Do they smell the scent of the other T? Would it be advisable to completely remove everything and scrub down the enclosure? Just wondering if anyone has ever just thrown a new T into an old T's enclosure.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I've never did something like that. I always cleaned/clean up, pretty well, the old enclosure (let's say as an example, if a Theraphosidae dies of old age) then, after a couple of days, I put the "new" Theraphosidae inside.

Different for cage upgrading time. Let's say I have a juvenile C.marshalli, and I want to house him/her in a more bigger enclosure. Enclosure well cleaned, substrate, then, after, I add part of the web and the same cork bark inside.

This little trick always helped me, they settled more faster.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
I always replace the substrate and take the opportunity to clean the container too. I do this in part because some of my T's are wild-caught and while I think they're healthy, why risk it? Plus, it's a good opportunity to clean anyway, something I am normally loath to disturb my tarantulas so much but when you need to rehouse anyway, take the opportunity! Substrate is cheap!

As to the rest of your question, I believe that the new occupant would be very much aware of the previous owner. I do not know how much nor for how long this would stress them, but again, why risk it?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So say I have a T that I rehouse into a new enclosure and I have another T that I want to move into the old T's old enclosure. How much cleanup would I need to do in order for the T to feel comfortable in that enclosure? I guess I'm trying to ask if another T would be ofended by being put into another T's enclosure? Do they smell the scent of the other T? Would it be advisable to completely remove everything and scrub down the enclosure? Just wondering if anyone has ever just thrown a new T into an old T's enclosure.
Would you like to move into a house or apt that hasn't been cleaned? Don't be lazy, do the right thing.

Ts do sense pheromones if that helps you.

LuiziBee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I dump all the substrate and wash everything off really well. Use a damp sponge and scrub off the wood as best as I can to remove any possible webbing, feces, or urticating bristles. I wash out the enclosure as best as I can with warm water and very occasionally the smallest drop of soap, depending.