Housing multiple T's same aquarium w/ divider

tass

Arachnopeon
Do you think this is going to cause stress on both t's? It's a Rosea and a pink zebra beauty. The divider I'm thinking of using is semi transparent but is this going to cause too much of a problem.

jt39565

Arachnoknight
The problem you will face is making sure there is absolutely NO gaps at all they are escape artists - several threads I have read tell the same storey " no gap, how did it get to the other side?"
Be carefull, maybe try something like a roach on each side and see if one can get to the other, if a roach(climbing roach BTW) can't get over then maybe a T can't either. Keep us up to date.

tass

Arachnopeon
The problem you will face is making sure there is absolutely NO gaps at all they are escape artists - several threads I have read tell the same storey " no gap, how did it get to the other side?"
Be carefull, maybe try something like a roach on each side and see if one can get to the other, if a roach(climbing roach BTW) can't get over then maybe a T can't either. Keep us up to date.
I'm going to hot glue all the way up and down the divider and make sure there's less than 1/4" or even less between the top of the screen and the divider, it should be fine with a cut up plastic hanger hot glued' in the middle. both t's are 3.5"+, I'm actually going to do this right now, i'll post pics when I'm done!

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would advise against this. Many bad outcomes from this. If you do it, also make sure each section has it's own lid so both sides aren't open at the same time.

tass

Arachnopeon
i understand there's always risks but I only plan on opening my enclosures once every week or two for feeding, T's are display pets it's not like you can take them on walks lol

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
I have multiple tanks done this way and I have never had any problem . The trick is to cut a narrow slot in the aquarium rim so that the glass can be slid in and then sealed into place . I make sure that the divider in slightly taller then the tank itself . That way the screen top with rest tightly over the divider. I put some electrical tape over the dividers edge to prevent any scraps or cuts .I use some kind of weight placed on the screen top directly over the divider to make sure that everybody stays on their own side . I will only use these "split tanks" for adults and only for species that have very similar environmental requirements . I only keep slow docile NW species so I can't say that this will work with arboreals or faster OW species so keep that in mind .

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I took my time,and divided a few ten gallons for female boehmei and female avicularia.Used real glass for the divider as well..They have been in them for about a year now,with no issues whatsoever.There will be no isues,either,since they are properly constructed.If you build it right they can be bulletproof. But skimp on supplies and do too quick of a job(and screw up your measurements) and you could have issues.I should take some pics,but blah,just do not feel like it tonight.*******Boris,we are on the same page.Mine are pretty much the same way except a few minor details.

Last edited:

tass

Arachnopeon
I was thinking about buying Plexiglas from Lowe's or something and cutting it like that, but instead i bought a simple aquarium divider from pets mart for 10$ and it came already sized. it's pretty stable. I've hot glued the top corners where it meats the top of the tank. The bottom is completely glued in. I also broke down a plastic hanger, cut it to size and glued it on top so that the top of the screen now is either resting on it or is very close to touching it (like an 1/8th of an inch). Here's some pics.

Front of the tank.

Hanger glued on

Top of Rosea space

Rosea

Pink zeb beauty space

Pin zeb beauty

Pics are kinda blurry but you get the point.

jt39565

Arachnoknight
It looks great, I second the substrate comment. Keep us up to date with it I also would like to get maybe a 20L and divide it but just too weary about them geting thru.

jt39565

Arachnoknight
I beleive(and will be promptly corrected if wrong) that the depth should be about 1.5 to 3 times the length of the body. Dependant upon the sp. could be more, I personally would go with 4" for what you got there.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
For a terrestrial you should fill it to about 6" from the top of the cage. The screen should be replaced with plexiglass (w/ holes or vents) so your T doesnt get its claws stuck in it.

Edit: You should move the cages away from the window to keep them warmer.

Last edited:

tass

Arachnopeon
For a terrestrial you should fill it to about 6" from the top of the cage. The screen should be replaced with plexiglass (w/ holes or vents) so your T doesnt get its claws stuck in it.

Edit: You should move the cages away from the window to keep them warmer.
that's a lot of dirt! i'll have to go buy more tomorrow, thanks for the advice

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If that divider is made of screen, it looks like it from the pics but you didn't take any of the divider itself. If it is, that is a bad idea and I would replace it with plexi. Here is a thread about Ts literally ripping holes in metal screen. Plus, the Ts will most likely be able to sense each other with it only being screen and that isn't a good idea either. As far as the substrate, a good rule of thumb is to only have about a legspan and a half of free space between the top of the substrate and the top of the enclosure. This is to prevent injuries from falls.

tarantulagirl10

Arachnobaron
I agree with previous post. I always fill the enclosure at least 1/2 with substrate, usually closer to 65% just in case.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You may also want to read up on G. rosea care. If you are able to keep that plant alive, it's too moist for a G. rosea.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
I think the plant will be just fine in a dry loving conditions. Instead of pouring water on the substrate inject it into the soil at the base of the plant with a large syringe. Top stays dry and your G. rosea wont know the difference. :D

Last edited:

tass

Arachnopeon
this has been a bad idea i don't know if its the divider i was using but both T's have gotten really really defensive and both have attacked my 12" tongs when I was trying to feed them. Both are now in completely separate enclosures until I can find a better solution :p. The PZB would just stare at the Rosea in a defensive posture and Rosea didn't really care but they are in separate enclosures now so all is well.