housing Hissers

mantrasutrahobo

Arachnopeon
Hey, everybody. I'm new here and new to insect keeping. I have a couple questions about the new little ones I just picked up.

I'm wondering, what type of live plants are safe to add to the terrarium? Hoping to add one to a corner.

I have 10 male Hissers I just picked up, mostly small. Will they be okay together or will I eventually need to separate them?

I purchased a 12x12x12in tank, will that be large enough? I've read they don't need much room, but being all males, I figured it wouldn't hurt.

I plan to purchase some Domino/Question Roaches when I can and add them to the tank, I've been told they're okay to cohabitate. Is this true?
I will be adding more bark etc. soon, I have some coco fiber and egg carton for now as substrate.
I've never handled roaches before and to be honest I'm a little nervous but I know they're docile and easy going overall.
Any tips on handling?

Thank you all in advance!

Last edited:

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I have seen a bit of aggression between males if there are too many in too small a space.
I keep breeding colonies, though. So they are really fighting over territory "with" females.
You can set them up as pretty as you please. I'm sure they would be happy. I keep mine in bins of eggcrate. So my experience dictates that the enclosures aren't very nice to look at until there are hundreds.
Mine have plenty of ventilation and are kept around 79 degrees most of the time. The only water they receive is some gel crystals and that is only between veggie or fruit feedings.
Get no mites

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
A Staple of rabbit pellets and fish food is always offered. Dishes cleaned regularly.