Housing for slings.

Tyrannosaur

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was thinking about keeping a couple 1/2" slings in these little "pet" carries I have, that are about the size of a penut butter jar until they got bigger. Any reason not to? I'd like to be able to see them, and they have nice lids with hatches that I can get in there without a large chance of them running out.

jmhendric

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
At 1/2 I would go with somthin a little smaller so they dont have trouble finding their food unless yo pre-kill it for them. And if you are talkin about KK then their are some openings where the handle is hinged I have had adult crix get out so no problem for a 1/2 in sling. I just got some new slings and plan on keepin them in the vials they came in for now . You can see them in my post under T announcments.

-Sarah-

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I had the same problem when I was looking for something to house my own 1/2" slings. I finally settled on some small, disposable Rubbermaid snack/food containers. I used a drill press to drill some small holes in the sides and on the lid, just small enough that the sling couldn't get out or get caught in one of the the holes (pencil irons make too much of a mess, plus your slings could get out, depending on how big of a hole it melts) Plus, the lids snap on really easily and fit very snugly, so you don't have to worry about them popping off. I just measured the containers, they're roughly 3" tall by 4" wide - not too big or small. I've got a .5" G. rosea, my 1" H. lividum and a.75" N. chromatus in those containers, and they're a perfect fit.

Tim St.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Or since you already have the KK you can just hot glue some screen over the holes like i do, and hot glue the handle hinge.

icenola

Arachnopeon
Cool.... never thought of using the large salt/pepper shaker container...it has the holes built in...no need to make any. Great Idea...thanks..

George