Housing for a Singpore Blue 1/2"

Rue

Arachnoknight
If I go this route (and that's how I'm leaning), and these babies need a bit more TLC (with both ventilation and humidity)...does anyone have housing suggestions?

I was looking at glass jars at Superstore this morning. They have some sturdy ones with nice screw-on lids for easy access...but they might not be tall enough.

I'm also not sure just how skittish these guys are...are they likely to try to run out everytime I open the jar?

Do I need side ventilation holes, so should I avoid glass jars?

I did try to search, but couldn't find quite find the answers I was looking for, so my apologies if this is a repeat question.

Last edited:

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Housing for a Singpore Blue 1/2"
If I go this route (and that's how I'm leaning), and these babies need a bit more TLC (with both ventilation and humidty)...does anyone have housing suggestions?

Deep substrate it will want to burrow as deep as it can

humidity should be around 70-80% and temperature is just room temperature

mine was in a clear acrylic cube like what you can get at Michael's with no ventilation, it is now in a small breeder box and i realize now that it is not deep enough with 4" of substrate

I was looking at glass jars at Superstore this morning. They have some sturdy ones with nice screw-on lids for easy access...but they might not be tall enough.

I'm also not sure jsut how skittish these guys are...are they likely to try to run out everytime I open the jar?

No, if it ever comes out of its hole (I have yet to witness this) it will scurry back down. Into its burrow

Do I need side ventilation holes, so should I avoid glass jars?

Personally I don't like glass, too hard to add extra ventilation if it's needed IMO

Rue

Arachnoknight
Excellent! Thank you very much! That's what I needed to know. I may stop at Michael's tomorrow at take a look.:D

Offkillter

Arachnosquire
I got mine at about one inch.I put it in a one gallon plastic jar I got from walmart I think it might have cost a buck and a half.Since then (several months) I have seen my elusive T twice.As long as the food disappears I'll take that as a good sign.

Rue

Arachnoknight
Sounds like these guys might be like my bumblebee catfish...I thought it died 2 years ago...

...saw it yesterday when I moved a rock in my FW tank...fat and healthy!:D

Rue

Arachnoknight
I jumped the gun (just a little). Found this new...but older model...enclosure on clearance.

It's for the Singapore Blue when he/she is all grown up!

Anyone use one of these? Any issues with it? Any reason I shouldn't use it?

Attachments

LV-426

Arachnobaron
i have something similar looking for my L. violaceopes, except it has the screen on top instead of the sides. it should work fine.

Rue

Arachnoknight
Thanks! :D

This one has a metal screen on top...as well as those 2 plastic screens on the side...

I will go put it somewhere safe for the meantime!