Housing Chilobrachys Fimbriatus?

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
Right now, my C. Fimbriatus is housed in a very large sugar container. It looks okay if I'm housing in a pinch, but I want to move him/her to a different container. I bought a 32 oz. deli cup from Captive Inverts-
http://www.captiveinverts.com/?view=2_mixed
First, how deep should the substrate be? How much ventilation? Would the 32 ounce deli cup work? If so, how do I move the Chilobrachys to his/her new container? Is there anything else I need to know?

redrumpslump

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have my 4" female in. 5 gal tank with around 4" of cocofiber and a couple pieces of cork bark. She has made some of the most amazing tunnels I've ever seen. There such amazing looking ts, but I think alot people give them the shaft cus there pet holes.

Matt

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
I have my 4" female in. 5 gal tank with around 4" of cocofiber and a couple pieces of cork bark. She has made some of the most amazing tunnels I've ever seen. There such amazing looking ts, but I think alot people give them the shaft cus there pet holes.

Matt
That still doesn't really answer any of my questions.

redrumpslump

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would say the 32 oz will be fine put around 3" of substrate. Some cork bark. I would put holes all around the lid and space out a couple on the side

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
I would say the 32 oz will be fine put around 3" of substrate. Some cork bark. I would put holes all around the lid and space out a couple on the side
Ok, thanks. Cork bark, though? Can't I just use pure coconut fiber?

redrumpslump

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yea use that for the substrate. Cork bark is wood. Use a couple pieces as anchors for the tarantula to build webs and tunnels

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
If yours is longer than 1.25", I'm guessing you're spider is not 2nd instar, or your measurment might be off if it is.

Anyway, here's how I keep mine. It is also second instar, and about .75" by my best guess, though I haven't really given it an accurate measurement. Certainly no larger than an inch though.

That is a 12 dram vial. The substrate is sphagnum peat moss that I packed down. I also made it a starter burrow using a toothpick, and it took to it very nicely. I didn't bother with a hide, since it burrows.
I feed it every week (cricket "drumsticks"), sometimes more if I'm feeding it pinheads (newly hatched, not those 1-2 week olds). I also add a few drops on it's web for it to drink every now and then (no schedule, I'd say I do it at least every week), as well as moisten a bit of the sub.

And that's it. Obviously use something a bit larger if it's actully bigger than 1.25". No need to overcomplicate things. Just try to keep it simple. When it grows larger, you can start making neat enclosures with cork hides. It won't take too long wih these species, don't worry!

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok, thanks. He's extremely fast, an aggressive eater, very defensive, and his prey dies with his fangs inside in less than 10 seconds.
I'm pretty sure NW slings are also very efficient at killing prey.

If you're this scared of it, rehome it. Being scared of it may cause you to make a mistake by accident.

Give it plenty of substrate to burrow, plenty of room so you don't have to rehome it for a few molts, & just let it be.

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
I'm pretty sure NW slings are also very efficient at killing prey.

If you're this scared of it, rehome it. Being scared of it may cause you to make a mistake by accident.

Give it plenty of substrate to burrow, plenty of room so you don't have to rehome it for a few molts, & just let it be.
I gave him enough room to live for a few molts, but at the same time small enough to help him find his food. I gave him artificial plants for decoration and aid in webbing, but not such a large amount that they crowd the area. I gave the substrate enough moisture so he could drink and the air could be humid, but not so moist that it could cause problems or drown him. I gave him enough ventilation holes to breath (if not a few more), but not so many that it would drastically decrease humidity or large enough that he could escape. I gave him a ton of substrate to burrow in...blah. Most of all, he's in. Actually, I didn't do a thing. I had to hold the cats so they wouldn't bother my dad, who was trying to find the Chilobrachys. As he described, "that thing bolted and I closed the lid fast as I saw him enter. I was more worried that we would lose him than me getting bit." I <3 my dad :eek: