housing change

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
When you get a spider from about lets say 1" or so from a dealer after how many molts do you move it to a bigger enclosure? does this depend on the how big it got after the molts? or how much room it has to expand its legs after the molt? I got a 3 inch curley hair and i wanted to know after how many molts I need to move it to a bigger housing unit. pictures below of the housing unit its in now and of the spider its self. Second comment. if anyone wants to take a guess at the sex of the spider I'd up for some possibilities...I'm putting my money on a male because i think i see the half dark circle thing someone on here recently told me about...:confused:

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I am not going to guess the sex, because I am no good at ventral sexing, and I am not sure those pictures are clear enough to tell, anyway. As far as rehousing, I would guess you have at least a couple of moults to go before you need to worry about rehousing that one. I would say that when its legspan is equal to twice the length of the container or more, it's time to rehouse.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Nice man you are right....... you did spot that male characteristic. That is a male....... horriblely blurry picture but I still can tell you its a male.....
Oh and just to let you know curly hair males are not all that big most of the time...... I just mated my female with a male and he hooked out at under 4"

When he hooks out I sure could use him.......=-)

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nice man you are right....... you did spot that male characteristic. That is a male....... horriblely blurry picture but I still can tell you its a male.....
Oh and just to let you know curly hair males are not all that big most of the time...... I just mated my female with a male and he hooked out at under 4"

When he hooks out I sure could use him.......=-)
Ok so now I want to estimate his living time before he leaves me for good...Soo he is 3 inches.... now...you telling me I dont have a a year / year and a half left with this guy? I want to him...I'd send him to you for mating but i dont know how to properly ship from boston to wherever you are. and if i knew how i would do it so that way when the babies reach like a certain age ( old enough to be sexed) I'd have you send me about 10 males and 10 females and you could keep the rest for whatever you wanted. Oh yea you also said "just to let you know cury hair males are not all that big most of the time"...Does that statement mean that I have a big male for its species? or you just meant in general they are not all that big so they mature quickly?

Last edited:

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ok wow that was a lot to process......

1) I was saying that at 3" he might mature on his next molt, and if not that one for sure the one after that.
2) Shipping we can talk you thought that its pretty easy to pack Ts. I was thinking about doing a step by step picture thread of that soon here. But till then I can just tell you over the phone or something its really easy.
3) Id be willing to send slings back if the mating goes well however I am not going to keep and raise them till then can be sexed thats way way to much work.
4) As for how long he has to live.... I think you are still looking at the 2+ year range for now, unless he matures on his next molt. Then maybe less. But then again maybe more there is no way to tell for sure with that. He might get killed while mating who knows.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What in those photos tells you its a male?
you see that black thing at the top of the abdomen a few inches down in the middle between the last back two legs?...when that is all black and its half a circle i was told it would be a male.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Its kinda hard to explain, ok you know where the upper pairs of book lungs are right? Between those is where you want to be looking when you are trying to ventrally sex something. Its called the epigstric furrow, and in that area on most terrestrial species if it is a male there is a tight half moon shaped circle of dark hair that becomes noticable sometimes at around 2". I can ventrally sex most species, but with avics and pokies I am batting around 80% those species male characteristics are not so obvious.

Here is a good clear picture of what I am trying to explain, Ok maybe not..... Im working on the picture.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/gallery/showimage.php?i=2549&c=9

Can you see the difference between the first link picture and the second?

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/gallery/showimage.php?i=2548&c=9

Both the same species but with noticable differences.

Last edited:

bushbuster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes, I think I'm beginning to catch on, the upper link is female and the lower male?

bushbuster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
lol..OK, Now I think I see, its the BIG patch of hair below the little patch, like the lower 1/2 of a circle.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
When I get home which is not for a long time, ill photo shop the picture so you can see what I am talking about. I have no clue what you are talking about.

Lover of 8 legs

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I wouldn't bet any money on sexing based on those pics. But I also wouldn't worry about losing him(her) any time soon. I have an B. albopilosum that I suspect is male. He's about 4" now and molts about every 10-12 months. No hooks yet and very interesting specimen. I have lots of females but don't be disappointed in having a male. They may not live as long but for me it's quality not quantity and my male gives me quality of activity - he's a real hunter.:)

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thats a male and I am 100% sure...... so ya..... dont even think about it being a female.