housing change

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey all,
I don't know if I want to keep my baby food jar idea going. Granted, the jar is a convenient size for a s'ling, and it's cheap, and yadda yadda. But the problem is in the lid. I have to unscrew if I want to feed/mist Peso. He doesn't like it. I'm pretty sure he hates it, actually. Also, he's fallen a few times, and today's was the worst. Is my T in any danger if he falls in the jar? The substrate should act as adequet cushioning, right?
Anyway, I try to steady the jar as best I can when I unscrew the lid, but I don't do a very good job. I wish he was a little bigger so i could move him to a KK. Can anyone suggest cheap housing for him that doesn't require a lot of hot glueing/soldering/pliers and wire cutters?
Paul

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Beanie Baby containers. Check out the "Arachnohomes" thread in "The Watering Hole". There are pics of them in there.

Scott

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
How about a deli cup? That's what all of my spiderlings are in. I just went up to the supermarket and asked if they sell them seperately (if not, buy something cheap they put in them). Once you get it, use a pin, or heated paperclip to poke holes in the lid and a few in the sides. I've had very good success with these :) I also put vials inside each one to be used as a makeshift burrow.

Here's a photo of one of my G pulchras in it's cup.

-Bryan

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Kosh,
Want ever you end up useing, make sure its deep enough so the pinheads can't jump out when you feed. Seems like they can only hop about 2 - 2 1/2" if their 1/8"- 3/16" long. My slings are 3/8" so that the size I buy. How big is your baby?
I also found the easyest way to feed them , is to leave the pins in the plastic bag, lean the bag like your going to pour out the crickets. They'll start to move toward the bag opening, single file. Seperate 3 or 4 pinheads with your fingers and just pour them in the cage. If you already knew this, never mind. I use to put them in a tupperware cup and try to pick em out. :) :) :) BETTA CUPS:) :) :) I'm not trying to sound like a broken record.

Ernie

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just like Peso

Hey Bryan,
Your G.Pulchra s'ling looks just like mine. Has he moulted yet in your care? How big is it? I got a deli cup from the 'Pretzel Wagon' but it doesn't seem to be much bigger than Peso is! How many ounces do your deli cups hold? Can you tell me some places where you can find them? Laslty, what are you using for a 'pre-burrow'?
Paul

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
T's falling

There really isn't a set height that a T can fall from and bust it's abdomen open, but the rule of thumb is to take precautions that would not let it fall at all, such as vaseline on the sides of the aquarium/terrarium.

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Vaseline is a no no in a T's tank. First of all, for it to be effective, you would have to put a band wider than the t can reach. Second of all, if it gets on the T's book lungs, the T can suffocate. Vaseline is not permeable to oxygen. Best way to keep a T from busting on impact is to make sure there is no where for the T to fall. Keep the substrate within reach from the top of the enclosure.

Scott

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
The disposable food dishes from Glad and Ziploc are great. Glad makes a little tiny round one which is an excellent size for babies up to about an inch. I have found that my babies do less climbing and running about if they are in containers that are as small as you can use. I think that they feel more secure when there is less of the wide open spaces around them :) I attached a pic to show the variety of little containers I use. Hope this helps you decide on a new house for Peso. And yes - those are yogurt cups - absolutely my favorite!

Gail

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
MrT......the slings i got are the ones i got from Holley......most of them appear to be 3/8 to 1/2 inch.....one or two are smaller....the lady at the petstore doesnt carry pinheads...but she said she could get them but only in lots of 1000...so i told her dont worry about it....i got little 1/2" crickets and i fed the slings crickets jumping legs and cut the rest of the cricket up with a sharp knife and threw pieces in for them...the slings didnt complain!!!
the babyfood jars i filled up about 2/3 of the way with vermiculite..so when they get bigger and can eat whole crickets...it may be possible for the cricks to hop out....but not with the lids on!!!