Housing and food questions...

AHMR

Arachnosquire
Ok.
I have a 5.5-6" g.porteri(Jello) that is a out in open lounger kinda t. She also seems to HATE substrate and would always stay on her rock "platform"(first pic). But the rock was only about 4" and not big enough for her.
So with slate rock(that was sterilized first) and a hot glue gun I made her a platform big enough for her(2 pic). I have 2 legs attached underneath that are anchored in the substrate to prevent shifting. I also put her water dish up there,to help prevent dirt and to have it accessible to her. As I literally haven't seen her go on the substrate since I introduced the first rock. The distance between the rock ledge and top of tank is shorter then her leg span to prevent falls injuries as well. Then under the platform has a hide dug out. As well as a hide on the right side of the tank,where the leaves are(3rd pic).
So does this habitat look ok and will be safe for her?
Then food....I got her 2 week ago. She molted 3 days before I got her according to previous owner. She still hasn't eaten. I know porteris are known to fast,so I'm not overly worried but how often should I be offering her food?(as I put in,wait,and if she shows no interest or climbs the glass to get away from the worm/cricket(I've tried both) I take it out. But I don't wanna over stress her by offering to often when she clearly has no interest yet.
I've been offering every 2 days for 3 cycles how.(I started offering 10 days after molt). So is every second day ok or should I go longer or offer every day?
Thanks!

Attachments

kooky

Arachnosquire
if the substrate is damp she wont tolerate it. G.porteri like bone dry substrate. dont worry about her not eating yet, it can take weeks and weeks before a t is ready to eat after a moult. a friend of mine's lp wasnt ready for 6 weeks before it was ready to eat again. you could leave her easily for 2 more weeks before offering food and it wont matter much. A month without food is not going to hurt her.

AHMR

Arachnosquire
if the substrate is damp she wont tolerate it. G.porteri like bone dry substrate. dont worry about her not eating yet, it can take weeks and weeks before a t is ready to eat after a moult. a friend of mine's lp wasnt ready for 6 weeks before it was ready to eat again. you could leave her easily for 2 more weeks before offering food and it wont matter much. A month without food is not going to hurt her.
Her substrate is pretty dry. As I cooked 75% of it in the oven for like 3hrs ish to dry it out(as I used the bricks). But had to add some that was still only slightly moist after so I mixed it all together.
She use to be on the substrate no problem,and not on top of the half cork bark that use to be in there,before offering in the first rock.(I took the bark out as I noticed it was starting to rot. It's a hide that she came with from previous owner.)
But previous owner had her on wood chips and rocks(the first rock she came with from previous owner as well). So I'm thinking she's just not use to dirt?? :s
I don't mind,I kinda like her out in the open to see. Just wanted to give her a bigger platform to relax on comfortably.
I'm not worried she's not eating. I know Ts can fast for a long while and that porteris are bad for it lol
I was just worried about stressing her by offering food to often. I'll offer once a week ish from now on until she finally shows interest :)
Thanks! :)

AHMR

Arachnosquire
Plus I think she likes it....lol
She's made herself a bed on the leaf on the rock and is just relaxing :)

Attachments

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Be careful, don't feed her too soon after a moult. You should go by the colour of the fangs. When just molted, they're white, then turn red, and then black. They need to be fully hardened before offering food, or else there is a great risk of damage to the fangs, breaking or misforming, which will make feeding extremely difficult, or even impossible.
At this size, i would've waited at least two or three weeks before offering food. The bigger they are, the longer it takes to harden up.

AHMR

Arachnosquire
Be careful, don't feed her too soon after a moult. You should go by the colour of the fangs. When just molted, they're white, then turn red, and then black. They need to be fully hardened before offering food, or else there is a great risk of damage to the fangs, breaking or misforming, which will make feeding extremely difficult, or even impossible.
At this size, i would've waited at least two or three weeks before offering food. The bigger they are, the longer it takes to harden up.
I know about the fangs :)
Her fangs were back to completely black 2 days before I offered food the first time(as she blessed me with a view in one of her tantrums lol she's a temperamental porteri).
So I offered the food,waited about 5min,then took it out as she had no interest.