Housing Aggressive Ts

Frostbyte

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I saw Martins H.Lividum posts. I did the crazy and "kinda" over came my fear of the nastier Ts. I bought a 4" Cobalt and she was laid back in her deli cup that I bought her in. I bought her at the show in Columbus. Anyways I got home Saturday , left her in her deli cup. I went to a local store and couldnt come up with anything good to house her in but one of those large plastic critter keepers . I filled it about 3-4" with a jungle mix and threw in a small flower pot as a hide. When I got her deli cup , the laid back T I bought was gone. Replaced with this T that was ready to rip me a new one as soon as she got out! Ha , it took me 15 minutes to work up the nerve to transfer her. Then I woke up every hour last night checking on her in fear that she would escape. She hung from the roof of the petpal almost all night. When I got up this morning she had webbed up the flower pot and is hiding. Do you keep your deffensive Ts in anything a little more secure? I just want a little piece of mind so I can sleep! Thanks !

arachnopunks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The only times our T's have ever escaped a petpal is when Johnny didn't put the lid back on after feeding or watering them and also once when the spiderlings were small enough to fit through the holes in the lid....which I saw coming. Just make sure you close it tight and everything should be fine. I think I used to have that fear back when we got our first Pterinochilus. I just checked on her obsessively until it sunk in that she would always still be in there.

-Jill

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The kritter keeper or petpal should keep the Cobalt secure. The only thing I can say is maybe you should add more substrate since they like to have a deep burrow.

The flower pot is a good thing too.

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i was wondering how Im going to transfer my P murinus. it is molting like every twenty days and is slightly over an inch now. I have it in a four inch deli cup that is around three inches deep. my question is how big should it be before I need to move it to a larger container. and does anyone here put there T's in th fridge?

Paladin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
at one inch the only thing you need to worry about would bethe blazing speed. you'll probably be better off working in the bathroom so that it has less places to hide if it bolts (make sure u put a towl in the crack) i have a 3.5" that is amazingly quick...i just used a dli cup to transfer it into a new cage. you might be able to upgrade your contairner to a small petpal or medium sized one.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I would not put anything but an adult T in the fridge. Too risky.
THey are quick little buggers, so I sometimes do transfers in the bathtub, after blocking the drain of course!
I'd not chance that small of a T in the fridge
Holley

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I usually transfer most of my T's in the bathtub with the drain plugged. If your Usumbara is in a deli cup transfer it to a container big enough for the entire deli cup to fit inside, loosen the deli cup lid place the lid on the larger container and then remove the lid of the deli cup and let the spider walk out on it's own then remove the deli cup.

Andy

chid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Frostbyte
IDo you keep your deffensive Ts in anything a little more secure? I just want a little piece of mind so I can sleep! Thanks !

Just make sure the lift up trapdoor on the top is shut properly after feeding etc.
Chid

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by johnnyjohnjon
i was wondering how Im going to transfer my P murinus. it is molting like every twenty days and is slightly over an inch now. I have it in a four inch deli cup that is around three inches deep. my question is how big should it be before I need to move it to a larger container. and does anyone here put there T's in th fridge?
With a risk to sound harsh - if you thinkin of putting the t in the fridge before you can move it, then maybe you shouldnt keep the fast species?

Just a thought.

/Lelle

AllenG

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Crotalus
With a risk to sound harsh - if you thinkin of putting the t in the fridge before you can move it, then maybe you shouldnt keep the fast species?

Just a thought.

/Lelle
I don't think this is anything wrong with being worried. Pterinochilus *.* are pretty nasty at times, and have an even nastier bite(medically significant). I am careful and mine is only about 1" overall. Plus, everyone has to buy there first of a species.

I always wanted a large room with nothing in it except maybe a bathtub in the middle with no drain. LOL, so if I ever had a less then beginners species that I wouldn't have to worry about it bailing for an unkown crevice or hole. Also, so i would have room to run and scream like a little girl! haha

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I kept a few myself, and yes they are fast. Just place a plastic box over them and slide the lid under and voila!
For small pterinos, I simply lay down a smaller box and make them run into it.
Spiders, even aggressive and fast ones, are easy to manipulate to run or move in the desired direction.

And no, they dont send you to intensive care. So they are not medically significant. Just some pain and a bit of swelling.

/Lelle

AllenG

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Crotalus
I kept a few myself, and yes they are fast. Just place a plastic box over them and slide the lid under and voila!
For small pterinos, I simply lay down a smaller box and make them run into it.
Spiders, even aggressive and fast ones, are easy to manipulate to run or move in the desired direction.

And no, they dont send you to intensive care. So they are not medically significant. Just some pain and a bit of swelling.

/Lelle
odd, most of the Pterror bite reports I have seen reported wet bites as medically significant,or they at least go to the hospital just in case. Have you been bitten? If so, give us a description, I want to know what I've got to look forward to. I hear it's a lot worse then "just some pain", maybe someday I will know first hand, but hope not, though I hear Pokies are quite a bit worse on the pain factor...hope i never find out =D

here are some links for you:
http://www.arachnopets.com/arachnoboards/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5471

http://www.arachnophiliac.com/burrow/tarantula_dangers.htm

http://forum.insecthobbyist.com/tarantulas/messages/3503.html

http://www.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/errata2.html

http://listweb.bilkent.edu.tr/napronet/03/0147.html

Specifically states "medically significant venom":

http://www.madarpok.hu/downloads/THE TARANTULA KEEPER.doc

neway...the links are endless, needless to say any T that can be time and time again be mentioned with the likes of Pokies, have my attention.

Neway, I am not worried about being bit, if I do get bit, that's just it, I got bit, no biggie...but I will respect them even more with that kind of reputation...:D

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Maybe their definition of medical significant differs from mine.
And no, I havent been bitten - by any t.

/Lelle

AllenG

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think half the reason for medically significant is because it, along with a lot of other African species, doesn't have urticating (sp?) hairs, therefore "typically" more potent venom. And I wish I could find the link to the tale of the guy getting bit on his cheek....aghhh, trip to emergency ward, adrenile to keep air passages open...PAIN PAIN PAIN...I have seen a lot of face and neck bites around the web(no pun intended) lately. Usually a Pokie or a Pterror rushing up and arm to a face or neck. OUCH!!!!

But Pterrors are on the "don't get bit" list along with Pokies, and like I said, I will take extra precautions to try and make sure I don't get bit, plus it would suck to find out you are allergic to them hehehe :D

But hey I have also seen pic's of people holding their Pterror's, course you can hold a black widow too :D

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by AllenG
I think half the reason for medically significant is because it, along with a lot of other African species, doesn't have urticating (sp?) hairs, therefore "typically" more potent venom. And I wish I could find the link to the tale of the guy getting bit on his cheek....aghhh, trip to emergency ward, adrenile to keep air passages open...PAIN PAIN PAIN...I have seen a lot of face and neck bites around the web(no pun intended) lately. Usually a Pokie or a Pterror rushing up and arm to a face or neck. OUCH!!!!

But Pterrors are on the "don't get bit" list along with Pokies, and like I said, I will take extra precautions to try and make sure I don't get bit, plus it would suck to find out you are allergic to them hehehe :D

But hey I have also seen pic's of people holding their Pterror's, course you can hold a black widow too :D
The "no urticating hair therefor more potent" are just a assumption.
The medical significant species sets you hooked up to a life supporting machine, staff at ER inject antivenin in you and hope you stay alive. No theraphosid venom do this no matter what species.
And there are no cases of a anaphylactic chock due to a theraphosid bite.

People do the craziest things, even freehandling mambas. I wouldnt really be so concearned about a poke or pterinochilus bite speaking medicinally (??) - however a bite can give bad press to the hobby and thats more a concern of mine. Thats why I dont sell pokes to newbies, or any other species which are difficult to control.

/Lelle