Housing a t. vagans in a Zilla micro habitat?

WanderBadger

Arachnopeon
I was looking at the large terrestrial version ( 14" x 8" x 6" ). Would this be a good fit for them?

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
That would be sufficient in size and function for now. Whether it's your best option is a different question.
Just an opinion: these Zilla things are quirky and interesting, with a possible selling point for some people that you can disassemble them and pack them as flat sheets of acrylic with elastic bands.
You might prefer an acrylic shoebox for its much lower cost, subjectively better appearance, sturdiness -- the Zilla is adequate, but it flexes and is held together with the stretchy elastic bands.
You could also probably get a nice glass tank for a little bit less than the cost of the Zilla.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
14 long, 8 wide and 6 all should be fine. It may be a tad low for an adult but could still work

14 long, 8 wide and 6 all should be fine. It may be a tad low for an adult but could still work

WanderBadger

Arachnopeon
That would be sufficient in size and function for now. Whether it's your best option is a different question.
Just an opinion: these Zilla things are quirky and interesting, with a possible selling point for some people that you can disassemble them and pack them as flat sheets of acrylic with elastic bands.
You might prefer an acrylic shoebox for its much lower cost, subjectively better appearance, sturdiness -- the Zilla is adequate, but it flexes and is held together with the stretchy elastic bands.
You could also probably get a nice glass tank for a little bit less than the cost of the Zilla.
Thanks for the advice! I didn't realize they were that flimsy, and I won't be going that route. I found a second hand terrestrial Zoo Med Creatures tank. If I replace the wire top with a ventilated solid one would that be good? I'm brand new to the hobby so I'm a little nervous about repurposing display cases into habitats.

Juvenile will be ok but a sub adult/ adult it would be too small for IMO
Thanks for your advice! Between the size and reported flimsiness I'm going to look for something different.
I didn't realize it would be cramped for an adult so I'm going to use something else. Thanks for your help!

Last edited by a moderator:

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
Thanks for the advice! I didn't realize they were that flimsy, and I won't be going that route. I found a second hand terrestrial Zoo Med Creatures tank. If I replace the wire top with a ventilated solid one would that be good? I'm brand new to the hobby so I'm a little nervous about repurposing display cases into habitats.
Yes, that's excellent. For the top you can just get a sheet of plexiglass, drill a few holes, and hot glue it in place. Great choice!

USNGunner

Arachnosquire
So, they're not that flimsy. I use them for terrestrials, arboreals, aborrestrials and they work fine. No mesh replacement required, no nonsense and they work, It has been my exprerience that those that "worry about them Bevvy", have never used one. :(

Pontification on the internet, what a concept! Who could have imagined?

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
So, they're not that flimsy. I use them for terrestrials, arboreals, aborrestrials and they work fine. No mesh replacement required, no nonsense and they work, It has been my exprerience that those that "worry about them Bevvy", have never used one. :(

Pontification on the internet, what a concept! Who could have imagined?
I also use one and its OK. But I either use kritter keepers or the really useful brand storage boxes usually.

And little clip fresh boxes for slings

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
It's about the same size as the 8L flat enclosures I use for my Brachys/Grammos that don't dig (almost the same amount of floorspace as a large kritter keeper but shorter), be fine for anything from 3" up to and including subadult size but might be a little cramped for a fully grown adult.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Thanks for your advice! Between the size and reported flimsiness I'm going to look for something different.

I didn't realize it would be cramped for an adult so I'm going to use something else. Thanks for your help!
if you put in 3-4" of dirt and a hide your ceiling gets pretty low

but reading your new decisions you are on the right track

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
How is this for a setup? The substrate is mostly coco fiber with a little bit of the Creatures soil mixed in.
That's plenty big. The comment about needing something larger and taller was probably referring to your original post, and not this new tank.
I can't see very well from that top-down photo, but you might need to add more substrate. You would add substrate to reduce the distance the spider can fall.
Height from the top of the substrate to the top of the enclosure should be no more than 1.5 times the diagonal legspan of the spider. So if your spider has a 3.2" legspan, make sure substrate is within 4.8" of the top (maybe it is; I just can't tell from the photo).
Nice tank. Enjoy 👍

WanderBadger

Arachnopeon
That's plenty big. The comment about needing something larger and taller was probably referring to your original post, and not this new tank.
I can't see very well from that top-down photo, but you might need to add more substrate. You would add substrate to reduce the distance the spider can fall.
Height from the top of the substrate to the top of the enclosure should be no more than 1.5 times the diagonal legspan of the spider. So if your spider has a 3.2" legspan, make sure substrate is within 4.8" of the top (maybe it is; I just can't tell from the photo).
Nice tank. Enjoy 👍
Yeah, I got a subadult vagans, and the distance between the substrate and ceiling are within the safe range.

Thanks!