housekeeping

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
here is a pic of my Pterror couple, hard at work enlarging their communal burrow. He is hauling dirt, and she's webbing! They've been at it all day, the burrow is now approx twice the size is was when they started. Maybe they are getting tired of only fitting one of them inside at a time ;)

Last edited:

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Their adding the new babys room, and remodeling the master bedroom :)

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
Tell me more! I didn't know that those orange bitey things would actually LIVE together let alone share a burrow and stuff. Tell us everything - the curiousity is killing me.

Gail

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
LOL Gail :)
I thought I'd posted about them living together, but maybe not!
He arrived in the mail, and I set him (still in his deli cup, with the lid off) inside her KK. It's the largest and deepest size KK that I have. She has a burrow made, and pretty much stays in it, 24/7.
Well, he sat in his deli cup for about an hour, then I left the room. By the time I got back, they were mating! Then he basically moved in LOL....
He's been here since the 17th of September, and they are getting along just fine.
The last male I had lasted quite a long time before getting eaten, and I even rotated him between 2 females. I'd leave him in with them each for about 1 month.
They often sit on the side of the container with their front legs just touching.
He makes his sperm webs right outside her burrow as well. I'll have to find my pic of that and post it too.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
no sooner said than done...I conveniently was organized this time LOL

Last edited:

savian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That's really cool, I hope all goes well and you get lotsa babies. :D ;) :)

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Excellent pics Holley! I would love to see some pics of them with just their front legs touching. Do you have any? :)

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
GQ...ask, and ye shall receive...
Alonso, it's all mixed in with the burrow webbing....

Last edited:

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Holly, since you have an adequate comparison between the male and female Pterror, would you suggest any obvious distinguishing traits to discern the two? I have a pterror that first I percieved as being female, by the store who sold them...but the size has turned my mind. Say for example, smaller body, and longer skinny legs...but this also seems to be changing...and this past molt has left it a little larger and somewhat darker orange. I sure as crap can't get a decent molt out of it because every time it molts it does this inside the burrow and then mangles the exuvia. The last one I managed to bring out decently I was almost certain pointed out male....but it WAS rather mangled. Thanks for any help.

Marcus

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Marcus,
I haven't raised any yet from slings....all of them I've received have already been adults. However, as you can see from the pic, the legs are super long, and the bodies are slim. Not sure if they look like that prior to their ultimate molt though. Females are roughly double or more the size of mature males as well.
I guess that really didn't answer your question, but it's the best that I can do ;)
Maybe someone with more experience can help!

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, I was noticing the legs and also the more defined orange of the female, which strongly resembles mine. It never had the ligh tangerine color your male had, except for maybe when I first got it...and actually I don't even think then. So maybe I am lucky and he/she is a fem. By the way...I spelled your name wrong didn't I? :? :}

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Crap..why'd you have to go and do that? Now I'm just as baffled as before. lol. Oh well. Maybe I should just check and see if she sits or stands next time she excretes...lol. Hike a leg maybe?

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
typical male :)

one more pic, not a great one...but this is what he normally is doing...watching her do all the work, and hanging out...LOL!!!

Last edited:

Theraphosa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
those tarantulas are awesome!! I want one :) are these kind are the only tarantulas that can live together until the female eat the male :).

Raveness

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
lol..great pic.I have a lil' demon also. Tarantulas do look like they have little grins he he.

Last edited:

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
hey

again, holley you have an awsome pic, or should i say pics!=D, i cant believe how your pterrors are living together for so long, good luck on the babies! and also, it must be amazing to watch them!!

James