"House" Spiders

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I've read that many (all?) "house" spiders can only be found in houses or buildings. I've also seen in descriptions about various "house" spiders that they are only found in association with man.

This puzzles me. Does it mean that they took up with man; both being out competed in their former natural habitat and in turn out competing others in the niches provided by man? Or, does it mean that these species actually appeared after man? Either just seems pretty fantastic, especially the second choice! Or does it depend on the specie? Or, is it just a false statement?

I really have no clue and find it quite fascinating. I always assumed that "house" spiders were also found in the wild. I suppose if mammals and birds, many that take at least a year to mature, have been selectively bred into species that are dependent on man, spiders could have mutated into species with the specific traits/skill sets for living in close contact with man...

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think they are just an opportunistic group of species that would typically co-habitate in caves or other spaces that may be inhabited by other species which would draw flies and other "pests" that the spider can appreciate. Most any mammal's den or burrow with fecal and other organic deposits is a good place for a "house spider" to hang out.

I don't think they came after us since they've been here for many millions of years longer than us and just know how to adapt which is why they are successful.

Either way, gotta love 'em.

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I don't think they came after us since they've been here for many millions of years longer than us and just know how to adapt which is why they are successful.
This was my thinking as well, but I didn't know if it was impossible for a new specie to evolve that quickly.

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Less ideal structure and more competitors out in "the woods" ...native "house spiders" are out there, but populations are less dense so its not as easy to find them.
Many "house spiders" are not native. They came over with man and stuck by him. To span out into the new wilderness means confronting whats already naturally there.

edit:
Most any mammal's den or burrow with fecal and other organic deposits is a good place for a "house spider" to hang out.
A good point probably not often thought about. ;) Many creatures that adapted to living with mankind, started the process long before man was hangin around.

Last edited:

Blahbar

Arachnopeon
Something along a similar topic...Imagine how well the cockroaches under New York City are doing and could they be doing as well without man? Now imagine if current trends hold what they will be like in 100years or 1000years or more.

All things change in a dynamic enviroment, it wouldn't surprize me in the least to find that insects have evolved/mutated because of mans massive footprint on the earth.

Blahbar

Arachnopeon
just remembered in highschool we did an experament on flys, we made them mutate over like 5 generations or something like that, very quick anyways. So i would say it is posible to find insects that have evolved to co-habitat with humans.