House Spider on my wall

Tegenaria

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Saw this immature male Tegenaria above the stairs just before going to bed and got my new camera out.
I slapped on a +4 close up lens, zoomed out halfway and popped up the flash. It was dark as there was no light on and had to use the AF assist lamp to see the spider on the screen!
(For some reason the uploader didnt work)

Attachments

JLDomestics

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have 7 and have been keeping them for a few years now, and I still have to say it looks female, lol, but your the boss, and your the one that can see it in person.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The abdomen looks far too narrow for a female-and having kept quite a few in captivity I just think it looks male.

I don't think any spider can be sexed by the size of their abdomen. Nice spider though.

Tegenaria

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have 7 and have been keeping them for a few years now, and I still have to say it looks female, lol, but your the boss, and your the one that can see it in person.
Well, it may be male,may be female, can find out now cos he's gone wandering off, as they do.
I did find a huge male the other day, or I should say my partner found it-he was in with the washing she was about to hang on the line and I got called over to retrieve him.Had these huge boxing gloves on, he was impressive!

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well, it may be male,may be female, can find out now cos he's gone wandering off, as they do.
I did find a huge male the other day, or I should say my partner found it-he was in with the washing she was about to hang on the line and I got called over to retrieve him.Had these huge boxing gloves on, he was impressive!
Oh very nice find. How big do these spiders get? Any size comparison pics?

Tegenaria

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Oh very nice find. How big do these spiders get? Any size comparison pics?
I think it depends on the species, over here the commonest is T.domestica,which reaches about 2" LS. But theres also T.agrestis and duellica which may be a synonym of T.gigantea. Thats the big one and Ive heard females can get to 4" LS, but Ive never managed to find a female T.gigantea.

Tegenaria

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
are these vemonous?
Well, all spiders are venomous, not sure how potent our House spiders are tho.But in the states theres a cousin of our Tegenaria called the hobo spider which I believe is one to be avoided!

LoveMaster1995

Arachnopeon
I didnt think our house spiders were venomous. Well not deadly! Does anyone keep these species of spider on the forum?