House cleaning products

Socfroggy

Arachnoknight
I posted in someone else's thread about this but I didn't want to hijack the thread and I need answers. My parents have a maid come and clean the house biweekly. I know she uses cleaners and maybe even sprays to clean the house. I brought up my concern but they insist on using this all-natural cleaning products called Mrs. Meyers in my bathroom. I told my mother about club soda, vinegar and water but she's concerned that won't get rid of the mold that naturally accumulates. Will the vinegar and soda eliminate mold? If not what I can do to safely clean without hurting my inverts? Knowing that the products were used in my bathroom, how long until it is invert safe once more? We just moved into this new house with nice everything and they want to keep everything as clean as possible.

I'm working on moving out.

Devin B

Arachnobaron
I wouldnt suggest keeping your T's in the bathroom at all. Mostly because I have arid species and running the shower would be bad for them. Also there are too many chemicals in my bathroom for my T's. I would suggest finding somewhere else to keep them like your room or an office

Socfroggy

Arachnoknight
Sorry, I didn't clarify. I don't keep any of my inverts in my bathroom, they're all in a storage closet in my room, a meter or so separate from my bathroom. I worry about the bathroom because it's proximate to my inverts and that's where I plan to do The maintenance (bathtub).

Socfroggy

Arachnoknight
They insist on using pledge downstairs away from my room and invert room. Is that okay? Will most bottles of Windex and such be okay to use away from my room??

Devin B

Arachnobaron
Okay that's good. From your original post it sounded like you kept them in the bathroom. My rule of thumb is that if you cant smell the chemicals then the room had been ventilated enough. Again that's my opinion others may say differently. Also I think the use of pledge downstairs should be fine. With the weather being as nice as it is (at least around me) you can open a window to let in fresh air.

Socfroggy

Arachnoknight
Thank you!! Just to make sure we're on the same page, so long as I cannot smell any chemicals nor have any been sprayed in the immediate area my inverts will be okay.

Devin B

Arachnobaron
Thank you!! Just to make sure we're on the same page, so long as I cannot smell any chemicals nor have any been sprayed in the immediate area my inverts will be okay.
thats what I do. Also you shouldn't really have to do much cage maintenance in the tub unless its a rehouse. Ive noticed that once a T has settled in they will run to their burrow rather than out of the enclosure.

Socfroggy

Arachnoknight
Mine has yet to find its hide. It seems to prefer hiding next to deli cup that it came in which is right next to the wall of the enclosure. I left it in there as to not disturb the T as it settled in and hoped to remove it once it settled in the hide but she's still in the same spot as she settled into the night I brought her home. I'm going to have to move it sometime and the tub would offer me a sense of security if it decides to bolt out of the enclosure.

Devin B

Arachnobaron
Mine has yet to find its hide. It seems to prefer hiding next to deli cup that it came in which is right next to the wall of the enclosure. I left it in there as to not disturb the T as it settled in and hoped to remove it once it settled in the hide but she's still in the same spot as she settled into the night I brought her home. I'm going to have to move it sometime and the tub would offer me a sense of security if it decides to bolt out of the enclosure.
If it gives you security then go for it until you feel more comfortable. Is this your first tarantula?

Socfroggy

Arachnoknight
It is. I have a P. regius and audax. Along with a mantis and millipede but this is my very first T

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
My parents have a maid come and clean the house biweekly. I know she uses cleaners and maybe even sprays to clean the house. I brought up my concern but they insist on using this all-natural cleaning products called Mrs. Meyers in my bathroom. I told my mother about club soda, vinegar and water but she's concerned that won't get rid of the mold that naturally accumulates. Will the vinegar and soda eliminate mold? If not what I can do to safely clean without hurting my inverts? Knowing that the products were used in my bathroom, how long until it is invert safe once more? We just moved into this new house with nice everything and they want to keep everything as clean as possible.
I'm working on moving out.
Could you not close your door, put a 'do not disturb' sign on knob, and simply clean your own bathroom/bedroom in an organic safe way?

(Long ramble -- ignore at will lol: But it sounds as if many concessions are already being made.
If I was a maid, I'd have my own professional strength cleaners that do the job and do the job quickly -- and my business would not be geared toward invert safety. I'd simply want to get in and out of a home as quickly as possible.
I don't know if this maid is a family friend who is just willing to accommodate such special requests -- but even using Meyers products seems like a safer (of sorts) accommodation.

As an invert/reptile keeper, well, really, just a human being that doesn't want poisons in her own home -- I am willing to use a steamer for bathroom disinfection, vinegar to clean shiny glass surfaces, and baking soda and elbow grease for tough jobs -- but this is me cleaning my own home; not making a llving at it!

But if this was my job -- time is money -- I'd probably want to use whatever products gave me the quickest results so I could move on to next job.

Not saying this is an environmentally friendly attitude, but it's the way most professional cleaning services seem to work).

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Will the vinegar and soda eliminate mold? If not what I can do to safely clean without hurting my inverts? Knowing that the products were used in my bathroom, how long until it is invert safe once more? We just moved into this new house with nice everything and they want to keep everything as clean as possible.
Vinegar and baking soda will clean up the mold. I've heard that using hydrogen peroxide will keep the mold from growing back, but I haven't tried it to know for sure. The major differences between cleaning with vinegar and cleaning with the commercial cleaner is that the vinegar solution has an expiration date and it stinks. There are plenty of YouTube videos out there on the subject to further your research. I've tried several of them myself and can say vinegar really is a good cleaner.

That being said though, there is nothing wrong with using cleaners like Pledge, Windex, or any other harsh chemical cleaner around your tarantulas. Just tell the maid to spray the cleaning cloth instead of the surface directly. As with pesticide usage, the risk of danger is by the spray from the aerosol spray which throws liquid into the air then settles on everything. It should be common sense enough not to spray a tarantula cage (plastic or glass) directly with cleaner.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I've heard that using hydrogen peroxide will keep the mold from growing back
Hydrogen peroxide is also excellent for removing some kitchen counter stains (usually coffee stains). Not really an issue for those who don't have white/off white counters, I suppose. Usually just pour some on counter and return in 30 minutes -- voila! Just throwing this out there.

I clean the glass inside and outside my T, bearded dragon and ball python enclosures with plain water and a microfibre cloth. Does a good job also.
(Not for deep disinfecting cleaning, just to see the critters better!)