House Centipede Care

billrogers

Arachnoknight
I found a house centipede today and thought I'd try keeping him/her as a pet. Does anyone have any experience keeping these guys? Do they prefer a moist or dry habitat? I read that you can tell male from female because the female's last pair of legs is longer, is this true? I also read that their bites are not bad, is that also true?

Thanks in advance! Most info on the out there is exterminator's pages lol.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Well I am no centipede expert, but I did read Orin's centipede book, so I know a little bit about how to care for them. These guys like it moist, they are also very fragile. I am pretty sure they can't Peirce human skin easily, and their venom is pretty mild.

billrogers

Arachnoknight
Thanks! I might try to hold him :) that sounds pretty cool. I know they are fast as lightning though.

Tenodera

Arachnobaron
I kept a large one once in a naturalistic tank with much shelter that allowed for moist microhabitat. I had my hand in the tank one day and the 'pede darted up my arm, across my shoulders, and down my other arm back into the tank! They are very interesting animals, I think they make good pets and are ready eaters, but just because they live around people doesn't mean that they don't need much attention. They do desiccate quite easily, and the legs are easily injured if they are restrained.

Rogerpoco

Arachnopeon
Been a bug-hunter since before I was a T keeper,had eyes open for one of those for years.
Lucky!!!
Good luck with it,hope goes well. Helpful info,Tenodera!

billrogers

Arachnoknight
It was walking in a friends basement lol. Thank you all for the responses! I'll try to get a pic if I can. It's body is a nice dark color as opposed to the normal striped look. As for M/F, is there an easy way to tell?

Rogerpoco

Arachnopeon
Not sure on sexing,I think most centipede males are missing the 4th or 5th leg segment,but don't quote me on that,please.
I bet this is one of the bugs that most of us,pre invert hobby,saw and went"that is the most disgusting thing ever",and after being in the hobby-"That is one of the coolest looking things ever!",lol.
We have a millipede here,a polydesmida,that refuses to live in captivity,an apheloria sp.,that I think is the same way. If you don't keep bugs,it's ugh,if you do,it's gorgeous! Actually-I like mills a lot,have had/seen"exotics".Irritates me that,truly,the nicest ones I have EVER seen live in my area,and can't be kept...

Just moved,left a dank,dark basement,refused to go down in it. I bet I missed finding House centipedes down there,darnit.

Illusion

Arachnosquire
I'm so jealous, i'd love own one of these, but I've never seen them come up for sale over here, you're lucky you can just catch one!

billrogers

Arachnoknight
I'm so jealous, i'd love own one of these, but I've never seen them come up for sale over here, you're lucky you can just catch one!
One time I was sleeping in a basement and one ran right past my bed right when I was about to go to sleep. I almost jumped out of my skin :D unfortunately, he didn't stand a chance (I didn't want it roaming the basement all night!) I think they are fascinating though when they aren't in my bed :smug:

billrogers

Arachnoknight
I tried feeding her (I'm gonna assume I've got a F) a worm which she completely ignored, but I found some juvenile camel crickets. I dumped three in with her and she quickly killed all three before eating them one by one! (well, she got through two and a half) I've decided to not try to hold her for now. :D

Here are some pics (sorry some are blurry, I took them with an iPhone)
IMG_8333.JPG IMG_8330.JPG
IMG_8342.JPG
Next to a quarter for size reference.
IMG_8339.JPG
Here are what the crickets look like. They are about 3/8 of an inch (body length).
IMG_8341.JPG

Rogerpoco

Arachnopeon
Great Pics.
Got 2 baby/juvenile Viet Giants,6 white-spot assassin bugs,and a handful of tiger hissing roaches in the mail to me RIGHT NOW.
Wife gonna let me go nuts in a few days,get several pairs of avics I don't have,and(FINALLY!!!)a Gooty.
I'm still jealous. That's an awesome critter.

billrogers

Arachnoknight
I really want to get a Viet Giant or a similar species eventually, but I'm still only in high school at the moment and my parents don't exactly share all my views on what would make a good pet lol.

Tiger hissers are awesome! I have two normals and three of a black variety (Any suggestions to what species) I'm hoping I can get both to breed.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Aww, but camel crickets make such great pets! :p Glad your centipede is doing well!

billrogers

Arachnoknight
Aww, but camel crickets make such great pets! :p Glad your centipede is doing well!
They are really cool :) I have a pitfall trap made out of a 5 gallon bucket with a board over it out in the woods and they always show up in there. I have thought about trying to keep some though, have you tried before?

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
I currently am breed a native species, they are very cool. Most species are relatively easy to breed, the species I am breeding has proven difficult to keep through multiple generations though. They like more protein than other commonly kept crickets, and will cannibalize if not given protein regularly.

billrogers

Arachnoknight
They like to live in our garage
I currently am breed a native species, they are very cool. Most species are relatively easy to breed, the species I am breeding has proven difficult to keep through multiple generations though. They like more protein than other commonly kept crickets, and will cannibalize if not given protein regularly.
More protein that dog/cat food?

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
That works, but you must include in their diet regularly. I have heard some species will eat small mealworms, I will have to try that out with mine.

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
They aren't hard to keep but like posted previous they will and do desiccate VERY easily. The longest I have kept them in the past was about 6-8 months iirc. Ended up dying of desiccation....

Also i think you can sex them via gonopods but google would be the place to start looking there.

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
Some Asian species get quite large. Man would I love to see those in the hobby.