Hottentotta Tamulus and Hottentotta Flavidulus question

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
Has anyone heard or read anywhere that there was a taxonomic change and the Hottentotta Tamulus has been changed to Hottentotta Flavidulus ? I can't seem to find that taxonomic change anywhere. I'm looking to purchase a Hottentotta Tamulus but being steered in different directions... Thanks

Last edited:

Lubed Tweezer

Arachnolord
In the past H. Tamulus was 'taxomized' as Mesobuthus Tamulus, later (in 2007?) it became Hottentotta Tamulus.
The most recent revision of Mesobuthus by Kovarik et al was in February 2018 but Nothing about tamulus in there.
From 2016 till today there is nothing in scientific papers that mention anything about H. Tamulus change to H. Flavidulus.
As far as I'm aware Hottentotta Flavidulus is a different species living in Afghanistan and Pakistan.
You may have been steered into the direction of H. Flavidulus purely out of commercial interest (?) :plot:

Example picture of a H. Flavidulus from Pakistan.
h_flavidulus_pakistan(f).jpg

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
H.flavidulus and H.tamulus share natural distribution in Pakistan, that could be it.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Well they discovered the Pakistani population later either the academics or the hobby may have lumped them together under H.tamulus only to later find they were actually were H.flavidulus.

H.flavidulus are very closely related to H.tamulus. They are both members of the "Indian group".

Anyways I am not very well read up on this history of the Pakistani H.flavidulus and its relationship to the hobby.

Like yourself I can't find much on it only hints that there were Pakistani H.tamulus in the hobby or maybe H.flavidulus labeled as such.

I was not active in the hobby at that time.

Attachments

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
Well they discovered the Pakistani population later either the academics or the hobby may have lumped them together under H.tamulus only to later find they were actually were H.flavidulus.

H.flavidulus are very closely related to H.tamulus. They are both members of the "Indian group".
Very interesting... could possibly be true

Lubed Tweezer

Arachnolord
"Can the flavidulus breed with the tamulus ?"

They probably can, just like a golden retriever and a sausage dog can get busy.
Mom and dad forgot to tell you about the flowers and the bees ?? :p
But I would not recommend breeding tamulus + flavidulus.
They would produce mixed genes offspring that might later polute other pure species scorpions.

Stomptheground

Arachnopeon
You may create the world's deadliest invasive species.
Well I have 2 tamulus and 2 flavidulus i was just wondering because I cant find anything online like most of us I'm a few months in the hobby and I have 2 gravid female scorpions androctonus amoreuxi and emperor..not they didnt breed lol. I bought them gravid. Plus 12 other duthidae unsexed scorpions eventually I'll be breeding for some local pet stores. So I'm in the learning process With breeding my spiders and scorpions. Not cross breeding. Do thanks for the replys

Stomptheground

Arachnopeon
I'm actually going to start a hottentotta frenzwerni communal I have one so far just waiting for more to become available great idea forsure

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
Well I have 2 tamulus and 2 flavidulus i was just wondering because I cant find anything online like most of us I'm a few months in the hobby and I have 2 gravid female scorpions androctonus amoreuxi and emperor..not they didnt breed lol. I bought them gravid. Plus 12 other duthidae unsexed scorpions eventually I'll be breeding for some local pet stores. So I'm in the learning process With breeding my spiders and scorpions. Not cross breeding. Do thanks for the replys
Good that you’re taking the advice on crossbreeding. As others have said, it’s not desireble at all.
You’re a few months into the hobby, and already keep such medically significant species? What was your experience level before starting with scorps?

If you’re interested, there is a recent thread about hybridization. I thought it was an interesting discussion;

Stomptheground

Arachnopeon
Good that you’re taking the advice on crossbreeding. As others have said, it’s not desireble at all.
You’re a few months into the hobby, and already keep such medically significant species? What was your experience level before starting with scorps?
I had a curly hair tarantula for 2 months then I got a obt sling and 3 green bottle blues 2 mexican red knees then about a month later 2 asian forest scorpions then finally my first hottentotta hottentotta. Then after that I decided to to get a hottentotta tamulus.. sorry it's such a long story I then decided on an adult deathstalker the lq version then a flavidulus then my tiny franzwerneri the other are adult female tamulus adult male flavidulus. I've done plenty of research. I ended up buying 14 scorpions and 13 tarantulas. All well taken care of and healthy.. wooo long text. I dont attempt to handle any buthidaes

I had a curly hair tarantula for 2 months then I got a obt sling and 3 green bottle blues 2 mexican red knees then about a month later 2 asian forest scorpions then finally my first hottentotta hottentotta. Then after that I decided to to get a hottentotta tamulus.. sorry it's such a long story I then decided on an adult deathstalker the lq version then a flavidulus then my tiny franzwerneri the other are adult female tamulus adult male flavidulus. I've done plenty of research. I ended up buying 14 scorpions and 13 tarantulas. All well taken care of and healthy.. wooo long text. I dont attempt to handle any buthidaes
20210413_081138.jpg

20210413_081138.jpg

Not cross breeing I promise

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
Your setup looks very well taken care off, very nice! :)

But the care and setups aren’t the reason I asked.
As a beginner, you haven’t really developed the experience in safety procedures when interacting with the scorpions, which is why I would never advice anyone to get a species with a high venom level when they’ve only been in the hobby for a short while. Scorps like Leiurus spp, Androctonus spp, most Hottentotta spp. etc. are expert level in my opinion. Not because they are difficult to care for, just because of their venom and usually not so docile nature.
I’ve been keeping scorpions for 3 years, have about 80 individuals of 18 different species, and still the most dangerous ones are probably my Centruroides species or Grosphus grandidieri, which have never made any recorded deaths as far as I’m aware of. I have been, and still am, slowly working my way up.

I am not judging you, because I don’t know you. You seem responsible and are not in the risk zone when it comes to age, but still, I feel like mentioning it. Both to remind you of what you’re working with and for other beginners that might be reading this.

Sorry for the long text unrelated to your original question, but this is an important topic to me, and probably most hobbyists. We don’t want anybody to get hurt, and we don’t want our hobby to have a bad reputation because of a reckless beginner doesn’t know what he/she is getting into (not saying this is you necessarily, but it still happens too often).