Hottentotta Tamulus and Hottentotta Flavidulus question

Stomptheground

Arachnopeon
Your setup looks very well taken care off, very nice! :)

But the care and setups aren’t the reason I asked.
As a beginner, you haven’t really developed the experience in safety procedures when interacting with the scorpions, which is why I would never advice anyone to get a species with a high venom level when they’ve only been in the hobby for a short while. Scorps like Leiurus spp, Androctonus spp, most Hottentotta spp. etc. are expert level in my opinion. Not because they are difficult to care for, just because of their venom and usually not so docile nature.
I’ve been keeping scorpions for 3 years, have about 80 individuals of 18 different species, and still the most dangerous ones are probably my Centruroides species or Grosphus grandidieri, which have never made any recorded deaths as far as I’m aware of. I have been, and still am, slowly working my way up.

I am not judging you, because I don’t know you. You seem responsible and are not in the risk zone when it comes to age, but still, I feel like mentioning it. Both to remind you of what you’re working with and for other beginners that might be reading this.

Sorry for the long text unrelated to your original question, but this is an important topic to me, and probably most hobbyists. We don’t want anybody to get hurt, and we don’t want our hobby to have a bad reputation because of a reckless beginner doesn’t know what he/she is getting into (not saying this is you necessarily, but it still happens too often).
Honestly anyone could take care of scorpions of any level of venom.. I'm a natural at taking care of small critters.. not an expert but I get by following all the necessary common sense rules. I respect these deadly awesome animals. Never said to go big or go home. I have rehoused my scorpions a few times I feed them with 15 inch tongs the only scorpions that's remotely aggressive is my deathstalker the other just sit and hang out the main rule never stick your hands in the tank because I know my androctonus amoreuxi will sting me because shes gravid the bi color I never see I feed it and that's it its fat and in premolt. The 4 indian reds I have are very dangerous but aren't aggressive. My hottentotta salei is my favorite always out for my viewing pleasure looking pretty eats well.. bottom line anyone can do it but not everyone should I understand. Everyone is different i love my animals i treat them like a pistol that's loaded no accidents no excuses

Some of my babies 20210413_184038.jpg 20210326_202448.jpg 20210411_164521.jpg

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
Your mindset is very good. My point is, when you’re inexperienced, you don’t have any habits and you still have to create them, more room for errors. The chance that something happens is still not that big, but if it does, it’s quite unforgiving. You sound very responsible, so I’m not that worried about it. It’s also for beginners reading this thread, because I would never recommend it.

Beautiful animals!

Stomptheground

Arachnopeon
Your mindset is very good. My point is, when you’re inexperienced, you don’t have any habits and you still have to create them, more room for errors. The chance that something happens is still not that big, but if it does, it’s quite unforgiving. You sound very responsible, so I’m not that worried about it. It’s also for beginners reading this thread, because I would never recommend it.
Your setup looks very well taken care off, very nice! :)

But the care and setups aren’t the reason I asked.
As a beginner, you haven’t really developed the experience in safety procedures when interacting with the scorpions, which is why I would never advice anyone to get a species with a high venom level when they’ve only been in the hobby for a short while. Scorps like Leiurus spp, Androctonus spp, most Hottentotta spp. etc. are expert level in my opinion. Not because they are difficult to care for, just because of their venom and usually not so docile nature.
I’ve been keeping scorpions for 3 years, have about 80 individuals of 18 different species, and still the most dangerous ones are probably my Centruroides species or Grosphus grandidieri, which have never made any recorded deaths as far as I’m aware of. I have been, and still am, slowly working my way up.

I am not judging you, because I don’t know you. You seem responsible and are not in the risk zone when it comes to age, but still, I feel like mentioning it. Both to remind you of what you’re working with and for other beginners that might be reading this.

Sorry for the long text unrelated to your original question, but this is an important topic to me, and probably most hobbyists. We don’t want anybody to get hurt, and we don’t want our hobby to have a bad reputation because of a reckless beginner doesn’t know what he/she is getting into (not saying this is you necessarily, but it still happens too often).
Which habit do you think I'm missing ???

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
It’s a general statement. Not specifically towards you.
When I was an absolute beginner with scorps, it didn’t come natural to me not to touch or come near my pets ever. I had only kept non-venomous arthropods, reptiles and amphibians. So I had to teach myself to use tweezers or other tools for everything, and really get it into my system. That’s what I was aiming at. As a beginner, you have to be even more concious with every action regarding the animal, because you have to get the right actions in your system. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be concious of your actions when you’re experienced, but especially as an inexperienced keeper this applies.

Stomptheground

Arachnopeon
Update on the scorpions they are all doing well and looking pretty now I need to go to the tarantula side of this site I've gotten quite a few new tarantulas from online and going to expos good day all who read this

20210520_211102.jpg 20210520_211549.jpg 20210520_211102.jpg

Attachments

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
It’s a general statement. Not specifically towards you.
When I was an absolute beginner with scorps, it didn’t come natural to me not to touch or come near my pets ever. I had only kept non-venomous arthropods, reptiles and amphibians. So I had to teach myself to use tweezers or other tools for everything, and really get it into my system. That’s what I was aiming at. As a beginner, you have to be even more concious with every action regarding the animal, because you have to get the right actions in your system. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be concious of your actions when you’re experienced, but especially as an inexperienced keeper this applies.
Your good intentions and advice will only fall on deaf ears. In the UK he would have to apply for a DWA license to keep these - and it WOULDN'T be granted. I personally think this kind of licencing should be compulsory in every country that trades in any medically significant species.

Stomptheground

Arachnopeon
Your good intentions and advice will only fall on deaf ears. In the UK he would have to apply for a DWA license to keep these - and it WOULDN'T be granted. I personally think this kind of licencing should be compulsory in every country that trades in any medically significant species.
Um dude I'm in america im a good keeper keep your laws off our pets do you think I play with my scorpions? ..hmmmmn. why so angry not my fault your limited on in your current location I have good habits healthy animals I have venomous spiders too... oh no..... and I'm good with fast old world species.. I dont understand what your point is.. not cool but anyways.. keeping venomous animals is God given right. I have almost a year under my belt never been bit stung scratched have done numerous rehousings what can I do better sir ????? Since were strangers and all.

20210618_145900.jpg

I prefer to talk about tarantulas and scorpions maybe tips and trick some you all know and I'll share some I know no need for people to say I shouldn't have them I like arachnoboards I'd like to keep it that way

J
Joey good to see you though do you own any spiders or scorpions we can chat about

Um dude I'm in america im a good keeper keep your laws off our pets do you think I play with my scorpions? ..hmmmmn. why so angry not my fault your limited on in your current location I have good habits healthy animals I have venomous spiders too... oh no..... and I'm good with fast old world species.. I dont understand what your point is.. not cool but anyways.. keeping venomous animals is God given right. I have almost a year under my belt never been bit stung scratched have done numerous rehousings what can I do better sir ????? Since were strangers and all.
I have no intentions but to learn and become a breeder.. not asking beginners to be like me but I'm sure I could help someone who doesn't know something. I love a good debate tho so dont leave me hanging mate

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Our doesn't need to be regulated as long our hobby behaves itself and there is never a sudden epidemic of keepers being stung by their medically significant pets it probably never will be regulated. Even the most venomous ones can scarcely can kill a healthy adult nonetheless. Higher risk groups are children, young teens, the elderly, and the immunocompromised.

Stomptheground

Arachnopeon
Our doesn't need to be regulated as long our hobby behaves itself and there is never a sudden epidemic of keepers being stung by their medically significant pets it probably never will be regulated. Even the most venomous ones can scarcely can kill a healthy adult nonetheless. Higher risk groups are children, young teens, the elderly, and the immunocompromised.
To each his own there is nothing wrong with learning on the way

Most people try to scare people away from the hobby be careful and enjoy your animals

I agree we have 3 children in the house and one day I want them to learn to be keeps I got my daughter who's turning 11 an Arizona blonde

Crom

Arachnosquire
Here is excellent post from a facebook group: View attachment 342990
These ended up both being flavidulus, the darker possibly a natural hybrid or intergrade between the 2 species. They are also smaller than the lighter specimens, which were first referred to as Hottentotta tamulus 'sindicus' from the Kalat area of Pakistan, but later found to be flavidulus. The smaller, darker specimens were from earlier, seperate imports several year ago reportedly from the Hyderabad area on the border with India. These were thought to be and labeled by some as tamulus gangeticus but definitely aren't, but they are a good bit different than the lighter and larger ex tamulus sindicus variety of flavidulus also, which exists a good ways away and separated by the Indus River as well. I keep the 2 seperate personally. The true tamulus in the hobby comes from India tho